Clearances to Combustables?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Phillips

Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Hello all,

I am reinstalling a woodstove and was wondering where clearance guidelines are measured from. In my case the manual for Encore 2550 states that clearances from the rear with a heat shield installed to combustables is 19 inches.
Is that distance measured from the back of the stove before I install the rear heat shield? Or does that mean that the rear heat shield needs to be 19 inches from the combustables?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

i'd guess 19 inches from heat shield. I'd go whatever distance is greater just to be safe. Should be able to call the stove company and ask if you need to be sure.

Thanks Kindred,

Unfortunately Vermont Castings does not have a 1- 800 number, I will go with your advice and go from the back of the heat shield to be safe.

All the best,
Matt

if the heat shield is detachable usually the measurement is from the firebox before the heat shield its attached unless its specified in the manual to measure from the shield.

that said i would hedge to measuring from the shield unless specified to measure from the firebox as its not a "standard" specification by code

Status
Not open for further replies.