Clearances to Combustibles Theory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it odd myself since wood is wood and laws of physics are not suspended because a handle is part of the stove. But it's a UL thing...​
Just another reason why being UL tested doesn't mean crap to me. A product having the label or tag is not a bad thing. It just doesn't garantee the product is truely safe IMO and certainly says nothing about quaility.

Just another reason why being UL tested doesn't mean crap to me. A product having the label or tag is not a bad thing. It just doesn't garantee the product is truely safe IMO and certainly says nothing about quaility.
wkpoor, being an inspector, I think you underestimate UL. But then there is nothing wrong with evaluating your product and situation and maybe going above and beyond what the testing lab specifies. I for one would have paid extra for a ceiling support box with MORE than the 2 inches clearance to combustibles required by the UL testing and label, but of course that is not available. I went above and beyond all requirements except that one......had no control over that. Well, looking back now, I could have framed the support box with metal studs but I didn't think of that at the time.

Nice install. Nice to see folks using 45 elbows instead of 90's.

My previous stove was set up the same, except I also had a damper on the stove pipe in the 45° section... I think pulling it from the pipe when I did this install improved my draft a bit.

I went in search of some real 45° elbows, none found in a 200km radius. My one 90° elbow, I'd love to redo in 2x45° sections to give it a larger bend radius. I'm still curious what has less draft restriction (and probably less air leakage), the adjustable 90° elbow, two adjustable 45° elbows, or the 90° corrugated fixed elbow.

But now I'm off-topic.

But now I'm off-topic

As the OP I say carry on. I too have never seen a fixed 45. Having 2 or more adjustables seems bound to increase the leaks and or run a cooler pipe.

Your stovepipe should be under constant vacuum, so no concern with leaking smoke into house under normal operation. In case of chimney fire, I suppose there could be a draft reversal, but then you'll have bigger problems than your adjustable elbows. Only down side I can imagine, with respect to the leakage, is a little cool air getting into the flue... almost certainly too little to matter.

A UL tag does not imply quality, efficiency, or performance... but it does guarantee the prescribed level of safety.

A UL tag does not imply quality, efficiency, or performance... but it does guarantee the prescribed level of safety.
I would rather have a stove that is UL listed then one that is not listed.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.