clearances to non combustible wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkennedy270

Feb 1, 2011
mb, canada
i have an old marquis stove which is sitting in an unfinished basement now, but i want to finish it soon. the clearances on this stove are quite large. i was wondering if i make the area around the stove non-combustible, do i still need the 36" of clearance. is there any limit?

I'd like to know this too - I've got a different stove, but I'd like to do the same thing.

I do believe that clearances are to combustibles. That being said, your insurance company and local officals may have something to say about it as well. I am sure that someone here will give you a solid answer.

It isn't as simple as non-combustible. If you put a steel plate (non-combustible) flush against a paneled wood wall, that wouldn't increase your clearance...the steel would conduct heat to the wood. Usually a stove manufacturer will specify a reduced clearance with a heat shield. I'm not sure how you would convert 36" free air clearance to an R-value of insulation between the stove and a combustible, but I'm sure someone else on this site will.

personally, I was wondering if you steel studded a wall, then put a non-combustible face on the wall, what should you be able to get down to; on a concrete floor.

EDIT: --Looks like BK answered my question. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.