Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I have a Morso 3610 installed in my house now. Next year were thinking of building a new house and I am taking my stove with me. For the new install how far do you have to stay away from the drywall? The stove has a heat shield on the back and bottom. Morso sells glass plates for under the stove, but in my manual it says .8 R-value. I don't see any mention of distance from walls, but it does show chimney clearances and hearth size. That would mean something would have to be put under the glass. So maybe I am making a tile hearth.

Also I am using double stainless interior pipe.

back of the stove single wall pipe 17" with doublewall 15" should be on page 8

Expanding the subject to the outside, i.e., another question, not an answer: What is the minimum clearance to trees? I have a two story (chimney over 30') and have used it for 20 years. Now I am getting ready to install a new insert and am looking at the factors again. Over the past 20 years a maple planted about 20 feet from house/chimney is now taller than the chimney. Branches that lean toward the house must be within 10' of the chimney top, what's too close? Maybe I can find that information in the target inserts installation manual, I'll take a look there too.

Thanks,

I thought that was the chimney to combustibles, with double or single wall. Because either pipe would not effect the back of the stove clearance. It gives side clearance and height clearance but not a clear back of the stove to combustible wall.

appliance clearences will change with the pipe you use depending on how they test it. typically single wall pipe needs 18 inches and double wall will be around 6-9 inches but the stove man. specs can over ride the the pipe clearence the specs i gave you are for the stove the pipe outlet is out of the top of the stove if you rear vent the stove out the back with a 90 deg elbow and went up with it i would revert back to the pipe clearences not the appilence to be safe.

Jerry_NJ said:
What is the minimum clearance to trees?

Thanks,

The short answer is thats what insurance is for. You could top and trim it now to keep it short or turn any tree that can fall on to your house into fire wood and plant a new one outside its full mature height fallzone.

Status
Not open for further replies.