Clearances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedGuy

Oct 30, 2010
Davisburg, MI
I'm looking to put a wood stove inside my firepalce like an insert. It will fit fine but only give a few inches clearance in some places. I refered to the instalation manual for the stove to find clearances to non-combustables and it simply says to refer to the materials manufacture. Well considering this is a 40 year old brick chimney I doubt I can find the manufacture, but I mean it's brick! So I'm assuming I should be able to have 0 clearance to the bricks in the fireplace. BTW there's not combutables on the other side of the fireplace either, just concrete and dirt. Anybody have any input on this?

Take some pics and post 'em on here so people can get a better idea what you are talking about. Sounds like you are going to install a woodstove back into a fireplace opening. If that's the case, you may want to consider the amount of heat a stove puts off from all sides, you stand to possibly lose some of that heat having it tucked back into a fireplace opening. Having a radiant stove out in the open allows the heat to, well, radiate better :)

Throw out some pics and I bet you'll get more response here.

Yep that's what I'm talking about, I don't have the stove yet so a pic would just be of my fire place at this time. Basically the back 2/3rds of the stove would be set back inside the fireplace. The stove does have a blower to push the air out. But I'll probably only have about 3 inches clearance from the back, the sides will have more as my fire place opening is an arch, but the top corners of the stove will only be a couple inches from the brick also.

For a freestanding stove, the clearances listed are to combustibles. That's all you need be concerned about. In the case of a fireplace, most typically this means the mantel.

Status
Not open for further replies.