Clearences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
When you read the installation instructions of a wood stove, they have minimum clearances to combustible surfaces. I presently have a steel wood-stove, so I loaded it up and ran it wide open just to test the surface temperatures. I put my hand on the tile under the stove and it was 70 degrees. I then checked the wall behind the stove and it was hardly warm to the touch.

I know they test these stoves for safety, but was just wondering how they arrive at K values for under the stove, when my stove doesn't radiate heat down. In fact it rises up.

Are the stove manufactures just being extra safe because of our litigious society? Or could they use worse case scenario ie. chimney fire?

I always follow these recommendations and accept them as fact, I guess I have a curious mind.

Are the stove manufactures just being extra safe because of our litigious society? Or could they use worse case scenario ie. chimney fire?

I always follow these recommendations and accept them as fact, I guess I have a curious mind.

i have visited the test lab the stoves walls every thing is connected with wires and thermo couplers rhen fed into a computer and the comb puter monitors and records the results.
you are right they add distances because everynow and then we can let a fire get away from us. The error on the side of safety philosphy. When UL: and the EPA test these stoves a few extra degrees and the test fails so does certification that just cost $120k nevermind shipment delays all down the line money is lost. Believe it or not They actually fear the Testing
UL can come in any time unannounced and pull a production line stove and request it be tested You better error on the side of safety

Box with fire in it
Tube with HOT gases in it

Why not err on the side of caution?

The clearance distances are set to insure safe operation even if the user is not running the stove safely, i.e.: overfiring it. The heat radiated down or back often depends on the sheilding. Steel stoves like the PE classic line and many of the Napoleons have excellent shielding. Sometimes the stove is rated for hearth protection without the ashpan, which if added, can act as a significant heat shield. What stove are you burning Bill?

Its a smaller Ashley with blower on, I guess I wondered why such clearances were required, and in my case the surfaces do not get hot. Now I am not saying with a different stove, things could change dynamically. And in no way would I suggest anyone not follow safe installation instructions. It's that I loaded it up after a nice bed of coals formed, WOT, and basically sat there and watched for over an hour and kept checking wall and floor temps and nothing. Actually I was shocked, I expected some radiant heat, but basically nothing.

Well I guess it's a good thing!

I don't know the stove, but I am going to guess that there may be a steel jacket (plenum) on the back of the stove which acts as a duct for the blower. If yes, it acts as a rear heat shield.

I think the floor protection is also in case an on fire log were to roll out of the stove and sit on the floor burning. With the correct floor protection the subfloor underneath should not be able to catch on fire from the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.