Clening fireplace chimoney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROBM1093

Jan 31, 2013
Is it worthy it to sweep my chimney my self or should I just pay some one to do it? the last time I payed some one to clean the chimoney they did it from the bottom and I was thinking that's it, I can do that my self. Also what sweep tools would you recommend

Other than the obvious brush and rods, that's about it. A sweep also gives the peace of mind that they see a lot of chimneys and can give you a head's up if they see something that concerns them. Other than that, just need things to clean up what falls (including what is up on a smoke shelf if this is a true fireplace, as many have).

How much wood do you burn in a year? Were there any concerns with your last sweep?

pen

I do my own. I just get a little bit of soot in my Selkirk and double wall. I have to take mine apart every year to clean it since my inside blach pipe goes up and then into a chase that has the class A to the top. i have no way of getting to the bottom of it so i brush down and then suck it out with a heppa filtered vac.

Status
Not open for further replies.