Clicking noise from my Englander 25-PDVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SJohndro

Feb 20, 2007
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can provide me with some insight into an issue I am having with my Englander 25-PDVC. While my stove is running, there is a clicking noise coming from the stove that is off and on. It is not a constant clicking, but it is quite annoying.

Also, there is a squealing or whining sound that comes from the stove off and on as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

I have the same stove.

What I hear in mine is the upper auger kicking in every so often to drop pellets down to the lower auger. That might be the clicking sound.

As far as the squealing sound that also sounds like the auger.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and give a better answer.

Yeah - if it's a sounds that happens every 30 seconds or so, it's probably something with the top auger.

My top auger squeals a little bit now since I bought some Penningotn pellets, which are VERY dusty. Every few days, I run about two or 3 cups worth of pellets mixed with dry graphite through the system and it clears it up for a few days.

petejung said:
Yeah - if it's a sounds that happens every 30 seconds or so, it's probably something with the top auger.

My top auger squeals a little bit now since I bought some Penningotn pellets, which are VERY dusty. Every few days, I run about two or 3 cups worth of pellets mixed with dry graphite through the system and it clears it up for a few days.

Can you tell me where I might be able to get some dry graphite? Also, do you have any suggestions on how to make the pellets not stay to the side of the hopper and make my stove go out?

Thanks!

You can get the dry graphite at any local hardware store, like ACE... I heard HD sells it by where they make keys.

To get the pellets to slide down the chute, I have heard of people lightly sanding the sides of the hopper, or saying that dry graphite helps.

Englander told me to use 1 tbls of dry graphite in about a coffee can's worth of pellets... But not to burn the graphite pellets. I couldn't figure out how to manage that, though (not burn them), so I only run about a cupful through at a time and just burn them... But just be aware that Englander said NOT to burn them.

petejung said:
You can get the dry graphite at any local hardware store, like ACE... I heard HD sells it by where they make keys.

To get the pellets to slide down the chute, I have heard of people lightly sanding the sides of the hopper, or saying that dry graphite helps.

Englander told me to use 1 tbls of dry graphite in about a coffee can's worth of pellets... But not to burn the graphite pellets. I couldn't figure out how to manage that, though (not burn them), so I only run about a cupful through at a time and just burn them... But just be aware that Englander said NOT to burn them.

we do not worry about them burning (usually i try not to burn them so i can run them back through again) , but graphite is an inert substance and may not readily light up , it does not hurt to burn them and is not an issue that will bring harm to the unit

Ridgefire said:
Ok dumb question....how do you run them through with out burning them?

graphite , being inert , if enough of a coating is present , it doesnt allow combustion in some circumstances, i usually disable the igniter when performing this task anyway that way i know they wont start , and i just put em back in the zip lock til next time

stoveguy2esw said:
Ridgefire said:

graphite , being inert , if enough of a coating is present , it doesnt allow combustion in some circumstances, i usually disable the igniter when performing this task anyway that way i know they wont start , and i just put em back in the zip lock til next time

How do you disable the igniter?

SJohndro said:
stoveguy2esw said:
Ridgefire said:

How do you disable the igniter?

unplug the wires, or if im feeling lazy , drop the unit into diagnostic and run the pellets through without turning on the stove here's how http://www.englanderstoves.com/help/PelletStove/diagnostic_mode04.html

just use the steps that engage the exhaust blower, then the top and bottom augers, and let em feed through. do not use the rest of the steps they are not needed, but the exhaust blower is needed to close the vac switches, and the front door must be closed

Status
Not open for further replies.