Clicking noise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james72

Nov 27, 2010
Craley, PA
I have been noticing a clicking noise coming from the flue area of my chimney. Is this normal? I only hear it when I have a really hot fire.

Sounds like creosote flakes burning off. Check the chimney for accumulation.

Is it a clicking or more of a tinking sound? Mine makes tinking sounds as the metal expands and contracts with changes in temerature

I'll listen closely tonight when I start the overnight burn. Which is when I hear it the most.

How do I check the chimney? Would one of those chimney sweep logs do the trick if it is creotie (SP?)?

New stove? old stove? First year with wood heat? You installed? Came with the house? What stove? What kind of install? Chimney is straight up? All steel or goes up and 90's into a brick chimney? etc etc..

Probably just metal expansion when it heats up.. would be nice to have a better description of the situation than just "I hear this noise"

You check the chimney by looking in it. Take a picture and post up what you see.. Although, the asking of this question probably answers a few things.. but if you answer some of those notes/questions in the first line, it will be much easier to help.. really, we want to help.. but you got to work with us a bit..
:)

Yes, I slept poorly last night.

:red:

Dakotas Dad said:
New stove? old stove? First year with wood heat? You installed? Came with the house? What stove? What kind of install? Chimney is straight up? All steel or goes up and 90's into a brick chimney? etc etc..

Probably just metal expansion when it heats up.. would be nice to have a better description of the situation than just "I hear this noise"

You check the chimney by looking in it. Take a picture and post up what you see.. Although, the asking of this question probably answers a few things.. but if you answer some of those notes/questions in the first line, it will be much easier to help.. really, we want to help.. but you got to work with us a bit..
:)

Yes, I slept poorly last night.

:red:
+1 on metal expansion, wait till you hear the stove expansion sounds.... or an early Santa, trapped bird, 'coon, squirrel

+2 on the metal expansion. Add your stove type as part of your signature. It will help the group assist on answers. Welcome to the forum

New stove? old stove? It is not new.

First year with wood heat? This is our first year with wood heat

You installed? Came with the house? Came with the house

What stove? Forrester

What kind of install?

Chimney is straight up? All steel or goes up and 90’s into a brick chimney? Yes

You check the chimney by looking in it. The only way I could look into the chimney would be to take the chimney apart. The stove is pretty deep and the door is small so I can't look up from the inside.

You are correct, to see inside the stove pipe or chimney, you will have to take it apart. it is part of owning and operating a wood stove.

Usually it is nothing much to worry about but the chimney still bears checking out.

Ticking, banging, groaning, popping. I have a couple of those. Seems my double walled makes the most. Hear my stove stretch sometimes. I am not sure how to describe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.