1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Clinckers. Is this normal? Or should I worry?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Markus38, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Brokenwing

Brokenwing Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    I do not know what kind of stove you have but that thing must be a monster, if it ate those nails and pooped them out into the ash pan. I would check your auger for damage asap. I hope they take these back, there is no excuse for this kind of quality control.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Brokenwing

Brokenwing Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    I do the same thing, at the bottom of the bag where the fines collect I dump them into a colander, and shake the fines out. Works great, and takes 2 seconds.
  3. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    Haha! forgive me Newf....I just pour my bag into a 5 gallon bucket and then the bucket into the hopper. I know a lot of people sift the fines...I just empty and vac out the hopper a couple times a season and generally the fines don't give me a problem. As far as the nails and stones....really nobody should have to deal with that crap! As far as the colander....well...I'm Italian so I use it often ;)
  4. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW MA
    Amazing the XXV just pushed that crap through.WOW. If that were my stove I would not be a happy camper at all. Hopefully the auger and tube didn't take to much damage.
  5. Markus38

Markus38 New Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley MA
    From the pellet co.

6. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    I like the fact that they responded in a timely manner. Have you heard from your dealer yet?
  7. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Wow!...Thats one smart Harman. :)
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  8. Markus38

Markus38 New Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley MA
    nothing but they could have presidents day off.
  9. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I think you ought to contact Harman. This could make for some great advertising for them.
  10. slvrblkk

slvrblkk Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northampton, PA
    I burned them too....no nails but LOADS of ash! The good news on those nails is scrap metal is up in price!
  11. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Only two bags credit -- wait for it, "virtually not possible" so it must have been after they left the plant is the implication. Our local paper mill has a co-gen using waste from logging operations. When it caught on fire and all the fail-safes didn't work, the manufacturer's reply was that's not possible!! Hubby's reply was, I'm looking at it!!!

I think I would still sieve those pellets just to protect your stove investment
  12. Markus38

Markus38 New Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley MA
    Yeah! It is the equivalent of a restaurant giving you a complimentary dinner after giving you food poisoning. Thanks but no thanks.
  13. imacman

imacman Guest

I would have sworn that the OP was going to say those nails & stone came from bags of Infernos, with all the scrap wood & pallets they grind up to make pellets.
    will711 likes this.
  14. jjs777_fzr

jjs777_fzr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NorthShore, MA USA
    The first question that comes to mind - does the OP have kids, nieces,nephews or any other small humans that would find throwing nails into the hopper irresistible ?
    The fact that your stove chewed them up and spit them out literally makes me a believer of your model stove.
    wOw
  15. brack86svo

brack86svo New Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    Two bags is a crap offering. That entire response was them patting themselves on the back, talking about how great they are and saying how impossible it is for them to make mistakes. They are basically pointing the blame at the retailer or the consumer.
  16. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I figured the Harman would take the nails and stones and spit out a natural stone topped coffee table or something!
    whlago likes this.
  17. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    That does seem a little mysterious how nails or stone could get in there. It has to be after pelletizing otherwise the nails would be pellets and the stone would be crushed. But it's normally a sealed system from the pellet machines through the cooler and storage and dust screening then bagging. I could see how a bolt from the silos or a piece of belting from a conveyor belt can happen (all machinery breaks eventually), but pallet nails and rocks must be a very isolated incident.
  18. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I'm not implying this is what happened, but it reminds me of a story I was told by a former pellet manufacturer once.
    He had a call from a lady that found one of those green plastic army men in her hopper. He didn't keep a supply of plastic army men at the pellet plant so he asked if she had any grandkids visit recently and that's what it turned out to be.
    Not that this happened here, it's just a funny story I was told once.
  19. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    Never trust a pellet manufacturer that doesn't keep a supply of plastic army men :p
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  20. Jack Morrissey

Jack Morrissey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Stoughton, Ma
    After finding the large stone, weren't you looking at the pellets as you pored them into the hopper?, don't mean to offend you or anything but it seems very strange so many nails and stones could go unnoticed....
  21. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I think us insert guys have more contact with the pellets than the free-standing group..I think I would notice the debris because I have to stuff the majority of the pellets from the bag into the stove with my hand. I believe the free standers just rip and dump, so it seems that it would be more difficult to detect any contraband!.
  22. Jack Morrissey

Jack Morrissey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Stoughton, Ma
    True..
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  23. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    They are the backup for the army of zombie employees
  24. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    I've been thinking about this today and I think GAP has missed a great PR opportunity 2 bags is BS how about we don't want any unhappy clients so we've made arrangements with the supplier to pick up the remaining 1/2 ton and bring you another ton, or refund the purchase price of 1 ton. Should you not feel confident in burning the other 2 tons same deal. Because we at GAP feel very confident in our product blah blah..........

You get the idea and with all of the pellet consumers on this site i would think that would go a long way word travels Fast here ;)

Let me get off my soap box time for another adult beverage;ex
    slvrblkk and Eatonpcat like this.
  25. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio

No need to get off the soapbox Will...I'm sure you will fall off before too long!!;)
    will711 and slvrblkk like this.