Clinker Sifter??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cighon

Mar 11, 2008
Northern NJ
Is there a product out there that can sift thru the ash and save the 'clinkerts'?

If not may be a market for someone to devlop (of course i would ask for a 10% Intellectual Property fee from you for the idea) :cheese:

Thanks for that thread.

I use a cat litter scoop. It works but is rather small.

Now that I have seen what someone else has done think I might try to figure out how to do it too without the welding part. Maybe the guys at my local Ace hardware store can make one up for me....I just love those guys. :coolsmile:

some pasta or juice strainers might work.

do you mind getting wet ?
alaska-state-library-photograph-pca-44-3-15-sourdough-in-stream-panning-for-gold-skinner.gif

If the coals are cool enough, I would think that a cheap plastic kitty litter scoop would work (about $4).

Or if coals are still warm, a metal one ($14):
http://tinyurl.com/77npb7

I haven't tried it yet, but my wife suggested it last night after I was vacuuming out the ash, and the ash vac kept getting clogged.

I bought a cheap ash shovel and drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in it. Seems to work best if ash/coals aren't heaped too high. I usually tap it against the angle iron holding the top of side firebricks to precipitate the sifting.

I have a foot-square frame of 2x4s with 1/4" hardware cloth stretched over it. Actually made it to sift garden soil for seed beds -- but it gets the most use in winter sifting ash.

Ash goes into the ash can; coals stay in the sieve, go back into the bucket, and then back into the stove to burn.

Eddy

I saw some smaller sheets of "expanded metal" at the local Tractor Supply. I've been thinking how I can bend and tack-weld a small 2" deep, 5"x 8" folded-edge shovel shape. The ash is very, very fine, so keeping those hot coals should help speed up a new fire...
The "Cat Shifter" looked like a good start, but just a little too small and with a plastic handle...

Bill

Took a five gallon bucket paint metal roller screen and bent the sides up on it. Scoop ash to one side and then sift the coals out by tapping on it with the shovel and put them on the other side and shovel remains into a bucket for disposal. The paint strainer thing was less than $5

Pagey said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/31452/

That is a real nice idea that you had ,pagey.

For people without welders, a split aluminum tube or brass, copper or steel & a couple of machine screws, 8x 32 or 10 x 32 with nuts and lock washers will do the fastening of the handle.

Here is how. Cut a slot down the center of the pipe with a hack saw about 4 to 6 inch long & force this over the grill rods of the ash sifting box & then bang it somewhat flat with a hammer or squeze it flat with a big vise grip or water pump plier. Drill a couple of holes for the nuts & bolts & you have a handle affixed without welding.

The box pagey shows in his thread looks much similar to a deep fry basket & I have seen similar stuff in chinese dollar stores.

& it also reminds me of a basket that you may get with a dish washer to put odd shaped utensils in for the dish washing cycle. So you might want to look at your old busted up dishwasher or try an appliance store to buy a new one to make into an ash sifter.

You can also make one up out of 1/4 inch square steel chicken wire but my will probably have to add some sheet metal stiffining supports.

It seems to me that the only place that you would care to sift these ashes for unburned charcoal is inside the stove so that the draft from the flue will suck up the ash that always floats in the air, thereby keeping it away from you.

I hate breathing that ash or getting it on my face or hands.

Another idea I had about this is to take a flat (ash transport) shovel of a size to fit into your stove & cut out a portion of the bottom of the schovel
(& here to do, this use a sheet
metal cutter if it is a sheet metal schovel or an electric schroll saw or jig saw with a metal cutting hack saw blade if it is a heavy gague steel schovel.

bolt down some 1/4 inch square chicken wire screen across the hole that you just cut out in the bottom of the schovel.

then you bend a 1/4 inch or 3/8th inch lip across the front of the shovel mouth ,using a vise, pliers & a hammer & some yankee injun-new-wity.(creative spelling,too!)

The lip is small enough to allow you to shovel the coals into the schovel but big enough to keep the coals inside the schovel when you are shacking the schovel side to side or tapping it against the inside of the stove, to shift out the ashes.

Be careful not to tape the schovel against any brick stove liners because they(creamic bricks) crack & break real easy, even when you don't bang stuff against them.

So here is your Project Impossible, Mr. Phelips, should you choose to accept it.
You computer will now self destruct within the next 6 seconds so that this vital information does not fall into the wrong hands!

(not really,just kidding, your computer will be fine!)

You however, will self destruct, at some time in the future.

We sometimes call that old age.

In the mean time , enjoy sifting your ash. :coolsmile:

eernest4 said:
Pagey said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/31452/

That is a real nice idea that you had ,pagey.

Oh, that wasn't my idea, let me be clear on that. I just recall seeing that thread, so I put up the link! Don't wanna take credit where it's not due. ;-)

AshShovel.jpg

Saw that one at a Hearth shop and bought one...tried it a few times, tired of it quickly and went back to the conventional shovel.

I got to keep my eyes open for one of those. A lot easier to buy it than to make one from scratch.

I can understand that you might get tired of using it. Sometimes I get tired of the wood stove & turn on the oil burner for a change of pace ,instead.

I always used to do my own snow shoveling when i was younger. as I got older, I bought snow blowers. Now I just pay a freind to shovel me out, even though I still have the snow blower in the garage.

eernest4 I was thinking about cutting a few of those cross straps to make sifting faster. But another objection was that it was too messy ... even moving a shovel full just 28" or so.

We're always pull the charcoal like coals in the back to the front before putting more wood in. So the coals I was trying to sift in the morning were very small.

First thing in the morning it's way easier/faster to just take a couple 3 shovels full in a conventional shovel slid it into a bucket and let it sit on the hearth...so what the ash bucket if the bucket is a little warm, it was designed for that.

Thinking about it some more maybe it just me...I'm not to well coordinated when I do this first thing in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.