Clinkers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dperk

Jan 8, 2010
New Vineyard, Maine
I have seen this term used many times and I was wondering what it meant?

Something like this ....

Attachments

• IM000590xxwp.jpg
    IM000590xxwp.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 343
A clinker in the context of what you are asking, is a hard formation similar to a crude glass.
This stuff forms at high temperature and is the result of non bunable materials that contain silicon or other things that melt and then harden into a "Clinker"

Clinkering as it is called has been and always will be an issue with any sort of appliance that burns solid materials (rather than gas or oil)

High quality Pellet fuel has a very low content of these contaminants and will yield a low amount of clinkers.

Stoves like the Quads that are basically a furnace and run a very high firepot temperature are more likely to form clinkers as compared to a stove that is run on a low burn rate and keeps a small "spot fire"

I have used most all the local brands of pellets in the Quad and do see a certain amount of clinkers.

The cheap "white bag" as I call it stuff is pretty dirty and will leave a lot of residue (Clinker)

A classic clinker from a Pellet stove will be a rough rock like material that can be broken up and or crushed. Usually dark brown to black in color.

Looks very much similar to a piece of volcanic cinder (either red or black) but heavier.

Hope this answers the question

Status
Not open for further replies.