Close Call Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myzamboni

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2007
Silicon Valley
Had a blustery storm blow through around lunchtime today. Through the wonders of Facebook I find out from a neighbor that one of my cars(MINI Cooper) was almost hit by a tree. I got lucky. The contractor working on the remodel across the street was not.

26617_355580404702.jpg

Soon for sale? Truck with good engine and toolbox?
photo.jpg

I got home in time to get ~1/2 cord of wood with no knots. The tree is a type of eucalyptus the city planted long ago as 'city trees'. Unlike most eucalyptus, this one does not have the sticky, gummy, sap that many do, and the bark is not smooth either. I'll let you know how it burns in a year or two.

For someone who mosty burns pine and sweetgum, the next couple years are looking good for me. I now have oak, black locust, and now eucalyptus.

That hit pretty darn hard..

Kinda looks like the point loads of the ladder rack did the truck in.

Glad it missed your car. Best part is you got some wood too.

That looks like it might be Red Ironwood, Eucalyptus sideroxylon. Pretty common street tree in most of CA. I really don't know anything about the wood or the sap, but hummingbirds enjoy the nectar from the flowers.

Wood Duck said:
That looks like it might be Red Ironwood, Eucalyptus sideroxylon. Pretty common street tree in most of CA. I really don't know anything about the wood or the sap, but hummingbirds enjoy the nectar from the flowers.

It doesn't flower. I'm actually starting to wonder if it really is eucalyptus. I'll try and get some pics up later of a live tree, the bark, nad the heartwood.

OK, here are more pics. Is this actually Euc. or something else?:

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo1.jpg

It sure is nice to get some wood so close to home! Glad to see your car was unharmed .

I don't know much about how the wood should look but the leaves resemble several eucs called 'peppermint tree' or something similar to that. do the leaves have a peppermint smell?

myzamboni said:
Had a blustery storm blow through around lunchtime today. Through the wonders of Facebook I find out from a neighbor that one of my cars(MINI Cooper) was almost hit by a tree. I got lucky. The contractor working on the remodel across the street was not.

26617_355580404702.jpg

Soon for sale? Truck with good engine and toolbox?
photo.jpg

I got home in time to get ~1/2 cord of wood with no knots. The tree is a type of eucalyptus the city planted long ago as 'city trees'. Unlike most eucalyptus, this one does not have the sticky, gummy, sap that many do, and the bark is not smooth either. I'll let you know how it burns in a year or two.

For someone who mosty burns pine and sweetgum, the next couple years are looking good for me. I now have oak, black locust, and now eucalyptus.

I think that truck had been overloaded with wood. they just aren't made to haul big logs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leaddog

Those leaves are characteristic eucalyptus leaves. There are hundreds of species, probably, so I'm not surprised that the bark looks a lot different than the standard garden variety eucalyptus that seems to grow wild all over northern CA.

Wood Duck said:
I don't know much about how the wood should look but the leaves resemble several eucs called 'peppermint tree' or something similar to that. do the leaves have a peppermint smell?

No peppermint smell. I looked up the Red Ironwood you mentioned earler and maybe it is a non-flowering version.

Man that was a close one!! Glad to hear/see your car came out safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.