Close to pulling the trigger; need expertise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garyh

Jan 19, 2009
Central MI
Good Morning, I guess you could say I am new here, have read lots of good information on here. We are close to pulling the trigger on poss a Woodstock Napoleon, however have a few questions from the expierenced. Regarding the chimney, we will be installing a metal chinmey thru the basement wall which wil probably be about 24 ft of total exposed outside, the question is how will this perform? Should we enclose or are they ok for draft on their own? there will be about 4-5 ft of pipe inside. How do the Napoleon's compare to the fireview's. Any input would be great. Thanks

We have a Fireview with the flue running horizontally to a SS chimney running up the side of the house and have no problem with it. Can't comment on a Napoleon (although we considered one when we were in the market for a new stove) but the Fireview is great. For us it cut our fuel needs in half and I also think it is the prettiest stove on the market. You can even choose different colors and you certainly won't get a guarantee from any other company that will even come close to what Woodstock gives. Read some of the reviews on this forum after doing a search and you'll find many happy campers with Woodstock stoves.

I would consider a Woodstock stove a high end stove and a Napoleon a 2nd tier stove. Napoleons are a good value and much better than the tool catalogue/tractor store stoves. There's tons of folks using stoves with outside chimneys with good success. If you notice the draft lacking try exploring an outside air kit. Enclosing the chimney with an insulated chase is always going to help. Also, just realize that any place your smoke is making a 90 degree turn is an area for possible creosote build up and keep an eye on it

You might be okay with just exposed class A, but an insulated chase would certainly be better, not to mention look better. If you don't insulate that flue, you'll want to clean it more frequently.

I'd also put the WS well above the Napoleons.

Status
Not open for further replies.