closed off Fire place in levitt town.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROBM1093

Jan 31, 2013
I am a new owner of a Levitt ranch on long island, the old owner seed he never used the fire place so I planned on getting it inspected before I used it but the storm left me with no power and heat. I inspected the chimney by looking up with a flash light and all looked good so a fire was lit and it kept me worm for 15 days with no power. Recently I discovered the dampener was not air tight so I went to home depo and got a window draft kit with the double sided tape and closed off both sides. I can’t believe how expensive custom doors are for a fire place and I can’t find used ones that are 35 by 21 high so for now I will not use the fire place. I think for what it’s going to cost me for two fire place doors and a new dampener I might as well just save the money and wait until I can get an insert

I agree, a woodstove will be a good investment, you'll keep your house really warm and save a lot of wood compared to your open fireplace.

Hey Rob, welcome to the forum. You will not regret putting an insert in that fireplace. The heat output is remarkable. We love ours. In fact our boiler has been down since last Monday and our house is 70. Wood heat is great!

Hi Rob, and welcome. If your house is a cape like my bro-in-law's house out there on LI the fireplace is in between what was the kitchen and living room. The oil burner was originally located just next to the chimney inside the living space. It has since been relocated. He heated the house for at least 10 years with a coal stove run into the chimney. A wood stove would do well also. Kept the house nice and warm.

Hi Rob, and welcome. If your house is a cape like my bro-in-law's house out there on LI the fireplace is in between what was the kitchen and living room. The oil burner was originally located just next to the chimney inside the living space. It has since been relocated. He heated the house for at least 10 years with a coal stove run into the chimney. A wood stove would do well also. Kept the house nice and warm.
Thanks all, I have a ranch and it’s in the same place between the kitchen and living room and I still have the oil burner next to the fire place.

Status
Not open for further replies.