1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

closed off Fire place in levitt town.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ROBM1093, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ROBM1093

ROBM1093 New Member

I am a new owner of a Levitt ranch on long island, the old owner seed he never used the fire place so I planned on getting it inspected before I used it but the storm left me with no power and heat. I inspected the chimney by looking up with a flash light and all looked good so a fire was lit and it kept me worm for 15 days with no power. Recently I discovered the dampener was not air tight so I went to home depo and got a window draft kit with the double sided tape and closed off both sides. I can’t believe how expensive custom doors are for a fire place and I can’t find used ones that are 35 by 21 high so for now I will not use the fire place. I think for what it’s going to cost me for two fire place doors and a new dampener I might as well just save the money and wait until I can get an insert

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ROBM1093

ROBM1093 New Member

Tried to post photo but get a security era alert?
  3. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I agree, a woodstove will be a good investment, you'll keep your house really warm and save a lot of wood compared to your open fireplace.
  4. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    Hey Rob, welcome to the forum. You will not regret putting an insert in that fireplace. The heat output is remarkable. We love ours. In fact our boiler has been down since last Monday and our house is 70. Wood heat is great!
  5. NortheastAl

NortheastAl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    Hi Rob, and welcome. If your house is a cape like my bro-in-law's house out there on LI the fireplace is in between what was the kitchen and living room. The oil burner was originally located just next to the chimney inside the living space. It has since been relocated. He heated the house for at least 10 years with a coal stove run into the chimney. A wood stove would do well also. Kept the house nice and warm.
  6. ROBM1093

ROBM1093 New Member

Thanks all, I have a ranch and it’s in the same place between the kitchen and living room and I still have the oil burner next to the fire place.