closing chimney with thinbrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
I am taking my sweet time installing my keystone still in crate for about the last 1.5 years...

Anyway. I live in washington state so I had the pleasure of rotohammering a 4 inch OAK hole in my chimney's 6 inch foundation in the basement. Wife not to crazy about the new aluminum pipe in the corner of her craftroom.

The fireplace opening behind the stove looks silly to me. So I am planning on blocking it in with spare brick I have and thin bricking over it. Anybody have any advice before I permanently seal in my liner?

How will access be for cleaning the flue?

I don't think it will be a problem, but I won't be able to use the bottom clean out part of the t snout. I'll have to remove the pipe to the stove to clean. I'm using an adjustable SS pipe to extend the horizontal section of the T. So I won't have to move the stove just to clean it.

I think the only way to give me more access would be to put in a 12 by 12 access door at the base of the bricks. I don't think that is really needed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.