1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Closing down stove

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by nmaho, Mar 19, 2014.

1. nmaho

nmaho New Member

Loc:
    Ma
    Ok I'm a first year burner only had insert for about a month. I'm out of wood so I am shutting down stove. Anything special that I have to do I already cleaned out stove and vacuumed cleaned glass which was pretty clean anyway I had good wood stored up from use in the fireplace. Input a box of baking soda in firebox don't know if this makes a difference but maybe keep a little moisture out. I enjoyed the month I did burn because I learned a lot on this site before I started.Now I can just look out into the woods where I have 4cords cut and stacked since October and wait till next year. Thanks for all the help from everyone on this site.
    pen likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I see no mention of a sweep. Sweep that stack before next season. As a newby wood burner it can yield valuable information based off of what you get from the stack. Take a couple of pics of what you get out of there. We have spooky accurate creosote readers on board.:p
  3. nmaho

nmaho New Member

Loc:
    Ma
    Yes I plan on a sweep just waiting for warmer weather.
    Beer Belly and Jags like this.
  4. razerface

razerface Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ohio
    close all your air off to keep draft to minumum.

I removed and plugged my chim with insulation, and OAK,,but not many people go that far.
  5. wenger7446

wenger7446 Member

Loc:
    Pottstown, PA
    Start stocking up wood for the next few seasons!
  6. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Drop the baffle before you sweep (it takes 2 minutes), sweep, clean up the mess, then plug the chimney with a towel or something to keep out the draft.

When you get ready to burn next year unplug the chimney and put the baffle back in place. Leaving the baffle down will discourage any burning until the chimney is unplugged and baffle is put back.