Closing down stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmaho

Jan 15, 2014
Ma
Ok I'm a first year burner only had insert for about a month. I'm out of wood so I am shutting down stove. Anything special that I have to do I already cleaned out stove and vacuumed cleaned glass which was pretty clean anyway I had good wood stored up from use in the fireplace. Input a box of baking soda in firebox don't know if this makes a difference but maybe keep a little moisture out. I enjoyed the month I did burn because I learned a lot on this site before I started.Now I can just look out into the woods where I have 4cords cut and stacked since October and wait till next year. Thanks for all the help from everyone on this site.

Reactions: pen
I see no mention of a sweep. Sweep that stack before next season. As a newby wood burner it can yield valuable information based off of what you get from the stack. Take a couple of pics of what you get out of there. We have spooky accurate creosote readers on board.:p

close all your air off to keep draft to minumum.

I removed and plugged my chim with insulation, and OAK,,but not many people go that far.

Start stocking up wood for the next few seasons!

Drop the baffle before you sweep (it takes 2 minutes), sweep, clean up the mess, then plug the chimney with a towel or something to keep out the draft.

When you get ready to burn next year unplug the chimney and put the baffle back in place. Leaving the baffle down will discourage any burning until the chimney is unplugged and baffle is put back.

Status
Not open for further replies.