Not open for further replies.
  1. nmaho

nmaho
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2014
    Loc:
    Ma
    Ok I'm a first year burner only had insert for about a month. I'm out of wood so I am shutting down stove. Anything special that I have to do I already cleaned out stove and vacuumed cleaned glass which was pretty clean anyway I had good wood stored up from use in the fireplace. Input a box of baking soda in firebox don't know if this makes a difference but maybe keep a little moisture out. I enjoyed the month I did burn because I learned a lot on this site before I started.Now I can just look out into the woods where I have 4cords cut and stacked since October and wait till next year. Thanks for all the help from everyone on this site.

pen likes this.
  2. Jags

Jags
    Moderate Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Northern IL
    I see no mention of a sweep. Sweep that stack before next season. As a newby wood burner it can yield valuable information based off of what you get from the stack. Take a couple of pics of what you get out of there. We have spooky accurate creosote readers on board.:p

3. nmaho

nmaho
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2014
    Loc:
    Ma
    Yes I plan on a sweep just waiting for warmer weather.

Beer Belly and Jags like this.
  4. razerface

razerface
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2014
    Loc:
    Ohio
    close all your air off to keep draft to minumum.

I removed and plugged my chim with insulation, and OAK,,but not many people go that far.

5. wenger7446

wenger7446
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 13, 2007
    Loc:
    Pottstown, PA
    Start stocking up wood for the next few seasons!

6. mellow

mellow
    Resident Stove Connoisseur 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Drop the baffle before you sweep (it takes 2 minutes), sweep, clean up the mess, then plug the chimney with a towel or something to keep out the draft.

When you get ready to burn next year unplug the chimney and put the baffle back in place. Leaving the baffle down will discourage any burning until the chimney is unplugged and baffle is put back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.