1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Clothes dryer heat recovery heat exchanger

Post in 'The Green Room' started by GaryGary, Feb 4, 2013.

1. GaryGary

GaryGary Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW Montana
    Hi,
    I don't know the spin speed on our washer. Its a not too old Maytag Neptune, horizontal axis washer, so I suppose it has a higher spin speed than the older washers, but not sure how much.

I was trying to think of some simple way to measure the spin rpm, but have not come up with anything -- any ideas?

I would like to look into the separate spin extractors and/or a newer and higher speed spin washer.

Seasoned Oak -- can you weigh a load as it comes out of the 1800 RPM washer, and then get the dry weight on the same load? We could compare this to the wet to dry load weight for my washer and maybe get some idea if my spin is low.

Gary

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    microphone on an oscilloscope?

I will try to weigh a load before and after too.
    semipro likes this.
  3. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

Automotive timing light?
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Call Maytag? :rolleyes:
  5. Joe Rampey

Joe Rampey New Member

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Put up a clothes line(solar clothes drier)!
  6. Jaugust124

Jaugust124 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
  7. mole

mole Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    Gary,
    I think the pony is in the laundramat!! Just think of the possibilities!...You could use all that dryer heat to prewarm all the washing machine water. Hmmmm. Two heat storage tanks? One to prewarm the water? ...and solar hot water panels on the roof to finish heating the hot water in the second tank? Or a heat pump to top off the second tank that also provides AC to the building in the summer? The sheer number of dryers and frequency of use would probably justify a pretty nifty air to water hx design. With all your knowledge, you could probably design something wicked.
  8. Catfish Cleatus

Catfish Cleatus New Member

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Make the wife hang your underwear to air dry indoors during the winter and outside on the clothes line during the summer. Done, problem solved by a redneck with no complicated math and weighing wet clothes!! You guys are getting way too into this laundry business!! Get out there and css some cords of wood!! Just joking ya a bit... Good thread and you guys are some brainiacs.
  9. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

There is/ was a laundromat near me that has done that for years, probably 20 or more.