clueless

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
hi all.came home yesterday to see my pellet stove had shut down and a very strong smokey smell in the house.i started it up again to see what would happen.it started right up and all seemed to be fine until i noticed the top auger had stopped turning.i shut it down and cleaned out the hopper only to find that the fire from the burnpot had somehow backed up into the stove and some of the pellets in the hopper had actually ignited.while cleaning out the hopper i noticed some foreign material and come to find out the block bearing gasket had melted.i took both assemblies out and the upper and lower gaskets are junk but the upper is far worse than the lower.my question i guess is what would cause the fire to back up in the first place.its an Englander 25 pdv 2006

corkman said:
hi all.came home yesterday to see my pellet stove had shut down and a very strong smokey smell in the house.i started it up again to see what would happen.it started right up and all seemed to be fine until i noticed the top auger had stopped turning.i shut it down and cleaned out the hopper only to find that the fire from the burnpot had somehow backed up into the stove and some of the pellets in the hopper had actually ignited.while cleaning out the hopper i noticed some foreign material and come to find out the block bearing gasket had melted.i took both assemblies out and the upper and lower gaskets are junk but the upper is far worse than the lower.my question i guess is what would cause the fire to back up in the first place.its an Englander 25 pdv 2006
I`d waste no time contacting an Englander service tech.

corkman said:

You didn't leave the hopper lid open did you?

no.hopper was definately down and latched

corkman said:
no.hopper was definately down and latched

I agree with Gio....get a call into Englander ASAP, and see what they say.

contacted englander today about my problem with the stove.basically they said the fire backed up in to the hopper for one of two reasons.either a pellet jam or a bad motor.they said if the bottom auger had stopped turning for any reason then the fire had nowhere to go but back into the stove.they sounded surprised that some of the pellets in the hopper had burned.i'll try to get some pics together so tou can all see the damage to the gaskets.i do have to say that the customer service was incredible.they gave me the option of getting it repaired or they'll ship me a new one from the factory with me paying about $150 in freight .i'll take the new one thank you very much.

corkman said:
contacted englander today about my problem with the stove.basically they said the fire backed up in to the hopper for one of two reasons.either a pellet jam or a bad motor.they said if the bottom auger had stopped turning for any reason then the fire had nowhere to go but back into the stove.they sounded surprised that some of the pellets in the hopper had burned.i'll try to get some pics together so tou can all see the damage to the gaskets.i do have to say that the customer service was incredible.they gave me the option of getting it repaired or they'll ship me a new one from the factory with me paying about $150 in freight .i'll take the new one thank you very much.

WOW. I'm glad that nothing worse happened, but to get a 4 year newer stove for $150 bucks is great! You get a new stove with any new upgrades........I don't care what anyone says, Englander Customer service and tech support is second to none.

Don't forget the pics, and also pics of the "new" stove install.

Status
Not open for further replies.