"Clumped soot" and chimney cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LRRifleman

Jan 25, 2011
southern New Jersey
Hello!

While doing some work on my raingutters, I noticed an "ash" build up or caking near the cap of my horizontal chumney. Is this typical?
While trying to break-up and remove the chunks,I also tried to remove the "arrestor" style end cap, to no avail!
Is there a trick to the removal of the end cap?
There is not any obvious screw hlding the endcap to the chimney piping!

Thank you in advance for your response!

Not sure if the ash is typical as I've only had one season with my stove and burned less than 2 tons last year (hoping to double that this year!).

When I did get up there for cleaning, my raincap pulled right off. No unscrewing/unclamping required.

Try twisting the cap 1/4 turn and then try working it off. It may be the type that twists and locks itself in place.

Simpson Duravent Pellet vent and Pellet vent pro twist off (if this is what you have) Like stated above, try to twist at the nearest connection.

And Yes, ash accumulation is very common at the termination cap. This is a place that is commonly overlooked and will greatly reduce the performance and efficiency of your stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.