Clydesdale 8491 - Direct Connect fresh air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jones

Feb 12, 2011
central oregon
Hi all,

I am new to these forums so hopefully I am doing this correctly... I am haivng a Clydesdale 8491 delivered next weekend and am wanting to set up everything this weekend ahead of time. I have a zero clearance fireplace and would like to directly connect a fresh air supply but nowhere can I see how to, or where to do this on this insert. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, the Clydesdale has two cutout positions on the top so you can choose the best placement for your chimney, has anyone dealt with how to seal up the position that is not used?

Thanks!

jones said:
Hi all,

I am new to these forums so hopefully I am doing this correctly... I am haivng a Clydesdale 8491 delivered next weekend and am wanting to set up everything this weekend ahead of time. I have a zero clearance fireplace and would like to directly connect a fresh air supply but nowhere can I see how to, or where to do this on this insert. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, the Clydesdale has two cutout positions on the top so you can choose the best placement for your chimney, has anyone dealt with how to seal up the position that is not used?

Thanks!

Hearthstone does not offer an Outside Air Kit (Fresh Air Supply) option with the clydesdale, you will have no choice but to burn inside air.

It does not haave to cutout positions on top, it has a removable/reversible collar that can be used in two positions, nothing to seal up. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go!

Good to know that the cutout positions are reversible and will 'self seal'! I was hoping to bring in outside air though, so will have to rethink this, will keep you posted after install, thanks for the reply!

Does anyone have a link or photos to be able to view the back and sides of this (Clydesdale 8491) unit? The schematic is lacking somewhat. Thanks.

jones said:
Does anyone have a link or photos to be able to view the back and sides of this (Clydesdale 8491) unit? The schematic is lacking somewhat. Thanks.

Jones:

Please see the attached photos, they might help. I installed my unit in a masonry fireplace having a masonry chimney and clearance to combustibles was not an issue. Regarding installing your unit in a ZC factory fireplace, you might want to check with a certified sweep, dealer (a knowledgeable individual, whomever that might be) to ensure that you have adequate clearance to combustibles. The Clydesdale Owner's Manual says this:

"You can install the Clydesdale in masonry or zero clearance fireplaces. Before installing the stove in a factory-built fireplace, the fireplace must have the following characteristics..." The Manual then lists eight (8) conditions that must be met first before the installation. The Owner's Manual can be downloaded from the Hearthstone site.

Attachments

• Post IMG_7437.jpg
    Post IMG_7437.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 342
  • Post IMG_7441.jpg
    Post IMG_7441.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 305
  • POST IMG_7616.jpg
    POST IMG_7616.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 307
  • POST IMG_7608.jpg
    POST IMG_7608.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 343
  • POST IMG_7610.jpg
    POST IMG_7610.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 303
Thanks for the photos, visuals are always helpful. My ZC fireplace opening measurements are 45.5" wide x 32.5" high x 23" deep, so I think the proper clearances are there? I reread the manual and seems as if we are good to go. I will post progress on installation. (Wish we had masonry, but you have to work with what you have).

jones said:
Thanks for the photos, visuals are always helpful. My ZC fireplace opening measurements are 45.5" wide x 32.5" high x 23" deep, so I think the proper clearances are there? I reread the manual and seems as if we are good to go. I will post progress on installation. (Wish we had masonry, but you have to work with what you have).

Jones:

Here are three other photos of the back, side and top of the Clydesdale. Just found them in my collection of Clydesdale install photos.

Good luck with your install.

Attachments

• POST IMG_7434.jpg
    POST IMG_7434.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 270
  • POST IMG_7435.jpg
    POST IMG_7435.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 267
  • POST IMG_7439.jpg
    POST IMG_7439.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 284
Status