Clydesdale Blower Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdisarcina

Sep 24, 2008
NW of Boston
The blower on my Clydesdale (model 8490 purchased in Sept. 2008) just started making some extremely loud rattling noises. I can only turn it up about 1/4 speed. Does anyone know how to take the top tray off in order to access the blowers? I think it needs a cleaning and little inspection. I can't seem to find any access or screws to access it. It looks like I have to take the ash lip off in order to get there. Any help would be appreciated.

My Clydesdale is a couple years older but the entire ash lip comes off with the front of the blower housing. There are two bolts on the side wings that extend out to the leading edge of the blower housing but mine doesn't even have the bolts in it. I leave them out since it doesn't move anyway and allows quick clean-up of the ashes and dirt that fall behind the ash lip. Once the bolts are out the entire ash lip/blower housing just slides straight out toward you. Once its extended out far enough to reach in you just unplug the two wires for the heat switch and its off. The newer ones may be different since they changed the door design and surrounds a little.

Thanks for your reply. The only bolts I have on mine are allen wrench ones on the side of the unit. There is one on each side of the unit. If you are looking at the screen that houses the blower, they are on the side perpendicular. I have tried to loosen them, but can't. The allen wrench feels like it is going to snap, as I am putting so much pressure on it. Maybe I should just wait until my local guy can service it.

Yep, those are the bolts that hold it in place. They thread into a v-channel in the housing so there isn't a nut on the inside or anything. I would say if its hot the bolt has expanded and made it tight or maybe just a little corosion. Put a box end wrench over the allen wrench for some extended leverage and hang on for the ride.

Now that I'm thinking about it they may have had nuts on the back side of the housing. I can't remember since mine aren't in there. I do recommend putting them in because it will allow the door surround to move a little which cause a rattle that will drive you crazy. I've gotten used to giving it a bump to stop the rattle but I should probably put the bolts back in. lol

my local guy sent me the ash lip removal procedure. Remove the surround, then the door, and the front housing, and then a couple of screws will take the lip off. Should be able to access the fans from there. I am going to give this a try tomorrow. Once I clean out the area and tighten it up a little, I am hoping the blower is back to normal. Thanks for your help.

my new clydesdale has been making a buzzing noise that is coming from the sheet metal that goes below the blower control. not sure if this is your issue but my dealer is ordering me the vibration dampener to resolve. the forum doesn't allow attaching .pdf's but i've pasted the text from it below.

©Hearthstone Quality Home Heating Products, Inc.
www.hearthstonestoves.com
R: 4 - 3/10/2010
Page 1 of 2
Technical Bulletin #122
Product Information
Clydesdale 8491 Air Shroud Vibration Dampener Install
Publication Date: 3/10/2010
Re: Clydesdale Model 8491
Starting Serial Number: 005000
Starting Production Date: June 2009
When the insert is in use, and up to temperature, blower operation can cause a resonance, or vibration in the
bottom air shroud sheet steel. This vibration can cause a loud hum that can change with temperature and
blower speed.
The high temperature silicon vibration dampener is designed to reduce any vibration of the bottom sheet steel
and eliminate the hum. The vibration dampener is easily installed without removing the insert from the fireplace.
Design changes to the bottom air shroud steel will eliminate resonance, or vibration issues in future production
runs.
The part number for the Vibration Dampener Kit is 3000-005
Procedure:
1. Remove the ash lip cover by loosening the two set screws. Take care to avoid chipping enameled finishes.

2. Place the vibration dampener to the left of the air control as shown. Compress and tilt the dampener under
the insert wedging it between the cast bottom of the insert and the bottom steel air shroud.

3. Push the vibration dampener completely under the insert as shown below. Ensure the dampener does not
interfere with the air control operation.

4. Re-install the ash lip cover.
Page 2 of 2

Hi Clyde,

Not sure if you got around to pulling the blower out, but you should not have to remove your surround. It should be as easy as pull the two bolts with allen wrenches, move the wings out and pull the blower out. keep in mind that you will only be able to pull the blower out a few inches, until you unplug the two wires for the blower. Then you can pull it out all the way.

Let us know how it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.