Clydesdale Insert, looking for owner opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotjava66

Feb 29, 2012
Michigan
In the market for an insert and came across the Clydesdale. Like the the looks of it, and one of the few inserts I have found that will fit my fireplace opening almost perfectly without a shadow plate or massively oversize surround. Read some of the older reviews and it seems to be a mixed bag of good and bad. Sounds like they did some upgrading in the last year or two to rectify some of the common problems? Anyone want to give me an updated opinion on this insert, good/bad/ugly?

I've got a 2010 model. Mine had the fan housing rattle which is now fixed. The door handle also broke after a year. Other than those 2 issues, I love it. It puts out some BTUs and looks great too! You won't be disappointed, especially if you have a good dealer to install it. As with any EPA insert be sure your wood is dry. I won't go into detail, but if you hang around this site for a while, you'll learn. Good luck with your search.

hotjava66 said:
In the market for an insert and came across the Clydesdale. Like the the looks of it, and one of the few inserts I have found that will fit my fireplace opening almost perfectly without a shadow plate or massively oversize surround. Read some of the older reviews and it seems to be a mixed bag of good and bad. Sounds like they did some upgrading in the last year or two to rectify some of the common problems? Anyone want to give me an updated opinion on this insert, good/bad/ugly?

We also have a 2010 model. The unit is very well constructed and throws off heat long after the fire dies. We have a 2000sf ranch house which the Clydesdale is capable of heating. We burn only dry wood.

The one persistent problem that we have experienced is with the fan. At certain fan speeds, and at a certain air damper adjustment - the fan rattles. I received and installed the heat resistant "elasomeric" block that slides under the fan housing. This "fix" worked for quite a while, but the rattle returned. However, there is a "sweet spot" where I can adjust the fan and air control to make the fan stop rattling. I think I can fix this problem permanently by stiffening the fan housing using bar stock. I have been working on other house issues, so I haven't completed the permanent fix.

I would consider the Clydesdale even though current units may still have the fan rattle problem. Get your dealer to commit - as far as I know, all units are sold through dealers - to make this problem right - if it occurs. Make the problem, if it still exists, his problem. The Clydesdale is an expensive insert compared to the price of other units, but I think, IMHO, that the price is justified by the quality and the effectiveness of the unit. Over all, I still would purchase the Clydesdale again and I recommend it, as it's said - to my friends and neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.