Clydesdale or HI300?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickn

Apr 5, 2010
denville nj
I’m looking to buy an insert this summer and I narrowed it down to the Hearthstone Clydesdale or the Hampton HI300 Medium Insert. What are some of your opinions that are familiar with these inserts.

Not many people on the Forum in the summer. Do a search for each insert. Lots of owners and opinions to be found.

nickn said:
I’m looking to buy an insert this summer and I narrowed it down to the Hearthstone Clydesdale or the Hampton HI300 Medium Insert. What are some of your opinions that are familiar with these inserts.

I've BOTH installed & sold a LOT of the Hampton inserts in the last 6-8 years. Very popular & reliable.
It's a nice unit, but the door doesn't quite open 90 degrees, so you can't use a view screen,
& you have to be a little more careful loading your wood.
Good heater (75K) for the size...
The Clydesdale has been redesigned in the last couple of years & while I've sold a couple,
I don't have any install experience, yet. Also, I haven't gotten any feedback on the operation
or maintenance on the Hearthstone product - either positive or negative.
The Clydesdale door is reversible, which is a NICE feature to have based on your wood stash location.
It also has about 4" of adjustment in/out of the fire place.
With the soapstone lining, it seems that it will radiate heat longer, but like I said - no feedback...
HTH

I sell the both here and have installed quite a few of each. Really between the two it comes down to looks. Some folks like the styling of the Hampton, some folks like the huge glass of thr Clydesdale. Both manufacturers are great from a warranty standpoint. I seem to get less service calls from the Hearthstone. I do get a lot of folks commenting on how long the heat lasts on the Ckydesdale. From an installation standpoint, my installers much prefer the Clydesdale. Its much easier to install for them.

All in all, your looking at two of the top 5 or so cast iron inserts out there, so pick what your wife likes and get back to fishing.

I have the hampton HI300 and I really like it. It throws alot of heat and looks great. My only complaint after burning it for one year now is that the door gets VERy hard to open when the stove first gets hot, you have to really pull to get it opened. Its almost like something expands so much that it jambs the door. However I never tried adjusting the latch which i will try doing shortly.

It is a great unit, we love it

I have the HI300, but don't have much experience with it other than looking it over. It's just sitting on a cart in my shop waiting for me to get the time to get it set into place. The door not opening enough does concern me. However, after some examination of the stop, it looks to me like with some simple machining it could be adjusted to open a bit more, but not too much because eventually there will be a collision with one of the trim castings. I think the opening can be extended to the point where it's not so much of an irritation.

I do find it surprising that they've designed the door this way.

Franks said:
I sell the both here and have installed quite a few of each. Really between the two it comes down to looks. Some folks like the styling of the Hampton, some folks like the huge glass of thr Clydesdale. Both manufacturers are great from a warranty standpoint. I seem to get less service calls from the Hearthstone. I do get a lot of folks commenting on how long the heat lasts on the Ckydesdale. From an installation standpoint, my installers much prefer the Clydesdale. Its much easier to install for them.

All in all, your looking at two of the top 5 or so cast iron inserts out there, so pick what your wife likes and get back to fishing.

+1

I have the hampton and love it. Warantee wise they suck. It may be my local area rep but let me say it again, warantee wise they suck. That being said there is little to the unit that you can have issues with. If you get the hampton you will need to bend the snap disc forward so that it contacts the heat box. I heat a 1956 brick 1400 square ft home with mine no problem and have done so to 20 below. If you can do an outside air kit do it. Mine is in a masonary fireplace and can not be done without a lot of work. I love my insert, but like I said, warantee wise they suck :cheese:

burntime said:
I have the hampton and love it. Warantee wise they suck. It may be my local area rep but let me say it again, warantee wise they suck. That being said there is little to the unit that you can have issues with. If you get the hampton you will need to bend the snap disc forward so that it contacts the heat box. I heat a 1956 brick 1400 square ft home with mine no problem and have done so to 20 below. If you can do an outside air kit do it. Mine is in a masonary fireplace and can not be done without a lot of work. I love my insert, but like I said, warantee wise they suck :cheese:

Its gotta be your rep or the place you bought it from. They are always responsive to my warranty issues and my contact in the service department, while a little scatter brained sometimes, is always eager to help keep a customer happy.

Yep, place I bought it from were clowns, the rep did little (thanks daryl!) And nothing happended until I called the company direct, but even then they sucked. I think you really only get good service if the dealer you bought it from do a good job. If they don't give you the service they should the rest do not care...

its all about the dealer, both HHT and hearthstone take care of thier customers!

i must say hearthstone is easier to deal with though, often a po with the customers serial number, and brief description of problem gets a part shipped w/o filing rma or warrantee forms :)

Thanks for everybody opions and information. I'm looking to heat downstairs portion of my house and keep the upstairs portion at a moderate temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.