1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Clydesdale up and running...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by loudog, Dec 1, 2012.

1. loudog

loudog Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Well, it took nearly two months to get the stove installed and permitted after pulling the trigger, but we've been burning for a little over a week now and things are going really well. Thanks to everyone for helping us pick out the stove (Hearthstone Clydesdale, which is soapstone lined).

[​IMG]

The burns have been going really well. I usually throw in two bio-bricks with every load of nearly seasoned Hickory, and that's been working well. Keeping the glass relatively clean with no smoke coming out of the chimney when it's rolling. Overnight burns haven't been a problem at all so far...may change a bit as it gets colder. We've been burning 24 hours a day since it's easier than re-starting a fire from scratch. It wasn't originally our plan to solely heat with the stove, but it's been easy to do...so the furnace is only being used for hot water at this point!

I couldn't find a good ash rake online, so I built one (as it seems many people do here). About $15 in parts from Lowe's. The bottom is some sort of masonry trowel, which is connected to a steel tube painted with heat resistant paint. I like how it came out, and it's been working well.

[​IMG]

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I'm digging this burning thing so far...

ETA: The fan cord is bothering me more than I thought it would. I've come up with some ways we can wire it to be hidden, and we'll be getting an electrician out here soon to help with that.
    raybonz likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pyronut

pyronut Member

Loc:
    El paso, TX
    Congrats! Looks Great.
  3. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Congrats that's a beautiful insert!

Ray
  4. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    looks great!

top clearance seems a bit short, or is that a mantle shield painted white?
  5. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Congrats looks very nice.
  6. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    Real nice!

You will get addicted to the nice steady heat..you will find yourself standing next to it soaking up the heat on those cold days more then you think you will..lol.
  7. loudog

loudog Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Thanks all.

Yeah, that's a mantle shield. The paint matches up pretty well, so it blends in pretty well.
  8. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Ill take one of those rakes lol, stove looks great, funny how we buy stoves to get some heat then they take over and the furnace never runs.
  9. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    Nice looking stove, hope it serves you well.
  10. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Is that some kind of ash scoop on the right?
  11. loudog

loudog Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Ha! I was thinking that may not be a bad business idea, the rakes, since it doesn't seem like there are many/any good ones available. Though, wood burners seem to be industrious, and just build their own.

Yeah, it's called the ash dragon. Great concept and works well when I have no hot coals, but it's a bit wide for my firebox when I only want to clear out the front.
    etiger2007 likes this.
  12. dave_376

dave_376 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    central Ct
    I just went shopping at both Lowes and Home Depot looking for a coal rake. Needless to say neither had one so I ended up grabbing a hand gardening (weeding) rake with 3 tines of the same length. I plan on trying it in the morning, I figured for $3 I couldn't go wrong. If it works ok I plan on taking the wooden handle off and welding on a longer rod so I can use it when the stove is hot.