Cmon Car - Please Start - Fixed and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, have a 2005 Honda Odyssey that doesnt want to start this morning. Temps have been in the 10's all week, so I am guessing it has to do with the cold. Battery is good as it was replaced about 1 year ago, and all lights/doors/radios/fans work stong. Turn the key and I hear the normal starting sound, but the engine wont turn over (if thats the correct terminology) Its not a slow/thethargic sound of a dead battery, so I dont think that is the issue. It just seems like fuel isn't getting to the engine. It was low on fuel (not empty) and parked on a somewhat of a small slant, so I put about another gallon of fuel in it and still wont start. (Yesterday was a bit colder, and it started up fine when I used it for about 15 minutes) Anything basic to check? before I call AAA and have the puppy towed?

I'm not sure if I can offer anything, but I used to be on a diesel forum, and when there was an unseasonal cold snap, there would be a lot of gelling of diesel, and the remedy was to bring it to a warmer place, like a garage. Can you just do without it for a couple days? It's gonna warm up next week, no? How about some dry gas in the tank and topping it off?

I went through this with our 2006 Civic yesterday morning. First time it has ever refused to start. I think the (original) battery is getting weak. This was compounded by discovering that the hood latch was also frozen solid. So I drug out an old hair dryer and got that going on the hood latch and rounded up a can of WD40 - after a while that let go. Then I put a battery charger on the battery for an hour - and plugged the block heater in. I had forgotten it even had one since it has always started in the cold - I might have had them put it on when we bought it, can't remember. Does your Odyssey have a block heater? And for sure put a battery charger on the battery for a couple of hours. Deep cold like this can really take the starch out of a battery - even if it's only 1 year old. Boosting might get it started, but boosting a dead battery puts an awful strain on your alternator after it gets going and chances are the battery won't be the same and won't get a good charge with just the car running to charge it. If you don't have a battery charger - get one.

Not sure what you mean by 'turn over'. If it's not turning over, that means the engine isn't turning when you turn the key - which I would say with some certainty is a battery issue.

Having said all that, if it is 'turning over' good enough, you could also have moisture in your fuel system which has frozen. So put some gas line de-icer or Seafoam to it and keep putting some in with every fillup.

Thanks Folks. I probably used the wrong term, but when I mean I think the battery is ok, I can here the dadadadadadadadadadadada but the engine doesn't seem to start. (I've had dead batteries before, so that is more of aru....aru....aru....aru...and sometimes just clicking sound.....not the case here....I turn the key and its nanananananananananananana and just doesn't fire up)
Dealer emailed me back....he said it might be flooded....told me to try with my foot on the gas and start...still no luck.
I then hooked up the jumper cables from our subaru, and tried again.....starter seemed to go a little faster (wasnt really slow without it) but still same thing....nanananananananananananana but just doesn't fire up.
Don't have an engine block heater, and no garage. I don't think its a battery issue as I can hear the battery/starter doing its job.

How 'low on fuel' is it? One gallon won't make a big difference if that's the problem.

I think I'd dump a 5 gallon jug in, along with a bottle of gas line de-icer, and try that (after letting it sit for a few hours). If it's iced up, the de-icer might not find its way to the problem & work on its own, but if it doesn't it should help get rid of the moisture once it warms up a bit so it won't happen again. Along with that, you could also pop the hood and run a small electric heater for a while pointing at the fuel injection system. Between that working at that end of the fuel system, and the de-icer working at it from the tank, it should take care of an icing problem. A second choice for an electric heater location would be underneath pointing up at & close to the engine block.

How 'low on fuel' is it? One gallon won't make a big difference if that's the problem.

I think I'd dump a 5 gallon jug in, along with a bottle of gas line de-icer, and try that (after letting it sit for a few hours). If it's iced up, the de-icer might not find its way to the problem & work on its own, but if it doesn't it should help get rid of the moisture once it warms up a bit so it won't happen again. Along with that, you could also pop the hood and run a small electric heater for a while pointing at the fuel injection system. Between that working at that end of the fuel system, and the de-icer working at it from the tank, it should take care of an icing problem. A second choice for an electric heater location would be underneath pointing up at & close to the engine block.
Well, the low fuel light isn't on, so its got at least 2-3 gallons in it. I've got perhaps another 1-1/2 galllons of fresh 91 octane I can dump in that I use for my snowblower. Can't get to the store to get Dry Gas as I don't have a car and my wife just left :(
I do have a container of Stabil (not deicer) should I try that as well? (Also, I do smell a little gas in the cabin..not a lot but a little)

You could have moisture somewhere in your fuel system. During the winter months you shouldn't let your gas tank get too low. (As you admitted). Your fuel system will get moisture in it and freeze up. There is no way for me to say this is your problem, but it is a good bet. Try to get it in a warm garage or have it towed to a shop. You could wait until next week when it's going to warm up, but then if it's something else you have waisted time. Good luck, we are all in this together!

I am starting to think it is moisture frozen in the line, so I think you folks have me going in the right direction. Issue is that I don't have access to a garage, so I can't really heat it up myself. I have AAA, so perhaps I just have them tow it to the nearest repair facilty vs the dealership which is about 15 miles away. (My gut is telling me that its just a simple issue as it really seem like there is just not fuel getting to the engine) I would like to try the hair drier idea on the fuel injector, but I can't find a diagram of where the injector is located, what to look for. Will give it another try in about an hour or so.

Got it running. Thanks folks....I serve each of you one internet cocktail.
I dumped what was left of my 91 octane into the tank, and then jumped on the back bumper and jumped up and down to get the gas sloshed around in the tank. Although the low fuel light wasn't on, I think the angle that the vehicle was parked on had something to do with it. (Ran into a similar issue with our old subaru as one day it wouldn't start as it was parked on a funky angle)
Again, thanks for all the quick/informative responses....really appreaciate it, as I was about to call AAA. (I feel like a dummy)

Great news! Now go fill that tank and add some Sea Foam or similar!

So the starter is turning, but its not firing. That is probably an issue in fuel or ignition. Or if you are really unlucky (i doubt) a snapped timing belt.

Its hard to flood a modern electronically fuel injected engine. If there was a freeze up blocking the line the computer would detect a low fuel pressure fault and throw a code. Is the check engine light on?

Wish you could edit the title of a thread so I could let know folks this one is resolved.

Fixed and running, that's good news Dave. I always try to have a close to full tank in deep cold and don't let it get below half full. Closing thread.

Reactions: flyingcow
Status
Not open for further replies.