CO detection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallibean6

Dec 8, 2014
Wisconsin
Going to purchase a co monitor this week and was wondering what you all think... been looking on line at a few. Want something reliable. Any suggestions. Also best spot to place it. Stove has been running great, finally learning (after reading a lot of helpful hints on here) to get it up and cruising between 500/550. Keeps the main part of the house around 72/74 which is great. Insurance man came put, took photos, said great job on the install, talked about hunting (because I had some mounts on the wall) Our insurance went up $40 a year. I can live with that. been burning just about 24/7 and so far so good.

I went to Lowes and bought some combination CO and smoke detectors. I put one on my lower level, second one upstairs on the wall just outside our bedrooms which is the opposite side of the house from the stove and a third on the wall directly over the stove.

Reactions: Hallibean6
I got fed up with the First Alert ones the previous owner had put in. 3 false alarms in 2 years, 2 of which meant the fire department had to come out for nothing. Replaced them with Kidde and had no problems since. As for placement: I think it is recommended to have at least one each floor, best in the corridor before the bedrooms.

Get one with a digital read out of the level all ov the residential ones require an elevated level over quite a period of time before they go off if it is digital you can atleast see the actual reading

I prefer separate units, then there is no confusion what the problem is when it goes off.
For me, if a CO goes off, I evacuate the house, open windows and doors and then look for the problem. If a smoke detector goes off and there is no smoke, I turn it off & go looking for the problem.
I bought a battery Kidde and it went wonky just after warranty and replaced with a Kidde plug-in and it's been fine.

Get one with a digital read out of the level all ov the residential ones require an elevated level over quite a period of time before they go off if it is digital you can atleast see the actual reading

My Nighhawk digitals don't show a constant reading. Only when it gets over dangerous levels. Things sit there saying "0" unless you press the display button.

Well i wouldn't recommend them them. I have a few first alerts and my wholer one that is clipped on my tool bag. That one registers anything i can watch it go up when we cook on the gas range

Wife was looking at a Kidde, the one with the 10 year battery.. pricey!! but wonder if it would be worth it.

Wife was looking at a Kidde, the one with the 10 year battery.. pricey!! but wonder if it would be worth it.
It isn't the batter y you need to worry about it is the sensor. i change my home ones every 5 years. My work one gets recalibrate and cleaned every 6 months And you want to talk pricey lol try paying for a pro one and the the service contract on top of it.

I suspect for most folks wanting basic CO protection ... Kidde or First Alert models should work well enough. I'm a bit partial to plug in models with battery back up.

I suspect for most folks wanting basic CO protection ... Kidde or First Alert models should work well enough. I'm a bit partial to plug in models with battery back up.
I agree i just prefer to have an actual readout to on a couple of them

I had one of the garrison ones go crazy this year, POS wasn't even a yr old, freaked me right out though. Suppose I could get them to replace under warranty but I'd probably get the same junk.

I run 3 in my house one on each floor, 2 that just alarm, and one in basement that has low level readout.

Picked up a Kidde plug in with battery backup (not the 10 year one) have it in the living room which is the closest to the area where the bedrooms are. Hopefully we won't ever hear it go off and that will mean all is good! Thanks for all your help.

I'm not sure how many people actually know this, but I just found this out not too long ago myself. The sensors in carbon monoxide detectors only last so long and they will stop functioning after that time period. I found this out because we had one that was installed 7 years ago and it all of a sudden started beeping really weird. So I googled why it was beeping and found out that means its past its time frame for the sensor to work and will need to be replaced with a new unit. I went out and bought a new one and while reading the instructions the new one says it will stop functioning 10 years after first time it is turned on.

I bought a pack of the Kidde 10 year sealed lithium ion battery units. It came with 4 smoke detectors and one combination smoke/CO sensor. A complete rip-off. When it comes to sensors, I truly believe in redundancy, so I already have 4 smoke detectors and 2 combination, plug in detectors. Within 3 weeks, 3 of the Kidde units - including one of the combination units - went off without any smoke, and without any of the other units that were near them going off. I could not get the Kidde units to stop squeeling, even after putting one of them in my car in the garage over night. The only shut off that worked was the 'permanent' one which makes the unit worthless. I did some research and there are many negative reviews of these 'sealed' units.

Turns out Kidde has several recalls on similar units, but not the one I purchased. I wouldn't want a replacement anyway, I now do not trust them. I am now using first alert, 9 v battery operated units and have no problems. I know they work for smoke due to one cooking fail, but the reset button also works on them. I hope to never have to find out about the CO sensors working. CO is my first concern since it is so undetectable and deadly. That is why I have 2 CO units on each floor. I would rather be over cautious then risk my family.

I see the member is from the UK but I don't see anything stating that these units are UL or ULC approved so they may be illegal in North America - in case anyone is interested.
I'm not sure if that matters but I think it has to be approved if your region requires CO detectors by law.

but you can't go wrong for a CO detector for less than $8.
Yeah you can if it doesnt work i have no knowledge about those units but i dont think it is a spot to skimp

Reactions: Wisneaky
I'm sure that there are much better detectors out there, but I can vouch that these ultra cheap-o units from China work just fine... http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014...ning-CO-Gas-Sensor-Alarm-for/32247748197.html

I'm not saying that piece of mind isn't worth spending an extra $20, but you can't go wrong for a CO detector for less than $8.
I'd I remember right those ones are about the same price on Amazon. I'd never order from aliexpress because that stuff comes from China and most of it takes a month or two to receive it.

I haven't had a co alarm go off, knock on wood, but would like to add that with interconnected alarms, it's nice to get the latching alarms that show which one set off the alarm, for later diagnostic purposes.

Wife and I were out to dinner with a large group this past Saturday when my youngest texted that the CO detector alarm was going off. Long story short it was chirping for true CO detection (supposed to have different chirp and color for detector failure or weak battery) and the battery was good. Fire Dept did not detect any CO with their equipment. They told me it was due for replacment and left me with a new Kidde detector. Really should get at least one more.

There are other threads on this forum that suggest the NSI3000 and the CO Experts. I found an HVAC service company locally that sells the NSI3000 for $180.00. I have not found anyone locally that sells the CO Experts but I believe they sell for $250.00. I am leaning towards the NSI3000.

Status
Not open for further replies.