CO detector has gone off twice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I am still here. I am using the 12" slip cap for the cleanout plug for a temporary basis. I am going to try and go back to the dealer and get the correct plug. However, I am starting to lose confidence in the dealer but it could just be one of his employees that seems to not give the greatest advice.

I have not cleaned the vent pipe but that will get done this weekend. Should the dealer have a brush for cleaning the vent or are you talking about a more universal brush?

Sick kids (colds no CO) have slowed my process on this but I am convinced I have the problem figured out. About the joints, when they installed the stove they used some type of sealant or cement when the joined the joints. Some of the joints you can see it but not with pictures. Would you still use some high temp silicon they seem to be sealed, no air movement when a lighter is next to the joints. I have checked the hot water heater and air is moving up the vent pipe (I checked it when the stove was on High and on Low). I am going to try and extend the vent pipe so it sticks out of the T a couple of inches, but have not figured out how yet.

If anyone else has advice on what to do about the plug for the cleanout I am always up for more opinions. Thanks again for all the help. This is a great forum with great people.

The stove pipe should extend to be about EVEN with the "T", but NOT sticking into it - If you run a brush through the vertical chimney pipe, it shouldn't hit the pellet stove pipe on the way through the "T".

You will need two brushes - one to fit the pellet stove pipe diameter, and a second to fit the main chimney pipe. My understanding is that if the chimney pipe is metal, you should use a polyester brush, (only when things are cold!)

The cleanout plug depends on the type of chimney. Can you identify the brand of the outside chimney pipe? If so, try to get the plug specified by that brand maker. If not, it is basically a question of trying different sizes to find something that fits the pipe and seals it off adequately. If nothing else, you should measure the OD of the "T" outlet and get a cap with a matching ID.

Gooserider

Fish MT said:
Yeah I am still here. I am using the 12" slip cap for the cleanout plug for a temporary basis. I am going to try and go back to the dealer and get the correct plug. However, I am starting to lose confidence in the dealer but it could just be one of his employees that seems to not give the greatest advice.

I have not cleaned the vent pipe but that will get done this weekend. Should the dealer have a brush for cleaning the vent or are you talking about a more universal brush?

Sick kids (colds no CO) have slowed my process on this but I am convinced I have the problem figured out. About the joints, when they installed the stove they used some type of sealant or cement when the joined the joints. Some of the joints you can see it but not with pictures. Would you still use some high temp silicon they seem to be sealed, no air movement when a lighter is next to the joints. I have checked the hot water heater and air is moving up the vent pipe (I checked it when the stove was on High and on Low). I am going to try and extend the vent pipe so it sticks out of the T a couple of inches, but have not figured out how yet.

If anyone else has advice on what to do about the plug for the cleanout I am always up for more opinions. Thanks again for all the help. This is a great forum with great people.
Update?
Alls well?
Kids ok?
CO gone?
People doing searchs like to see the end result.....
Post.. is the pipe and everything taken care of etc.
Just thought about that setup earlier today and was wondering.....

Status
Not open for further replies.