CO detector sensitivity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
I've got 3 CO detectors installed. None (all with digital readouts) show any trace. However, when burning, I'm experiencing a rough throat. There's no visible sign of smoke. It's possible that the paint on the new stove is still curing, but let's assume for a second that's not it.

How sensitive are CO meters? Am I picking up on something they're not? Is there some other byproduct of combustion that I could be picking up on? I keep second guessing myself because I am a bit sick as well, but the sore throat happens too consistently with a fire to ignore it.

I'm at a loss. I've had two fires now since I had to repaint a small section of the stove. I would have expected it to cure pretty quickly.

Again assuming it's not the paint, who should I call to check for leaks, etc? I'm going to talk to the installer Monday, but I suspect they're not going to have much to suggest.

If you can find commercial grade CO detectors, they will be more sensitive than the consumer grade detectors that you buy at the local home center.

How much have you been using the stove lately? If you're not running a humidifier, your place can get pretty dry, which can cause a sore throat.

-SF

Come to think of it, I don't think so either.

Headache, nausea, and extreme drowsiness are usually the symptoms of CO.

-SF

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning quickly sneaks up on you.
When you have it; it is almost too late.

It happened to me, but non-related to a wood stove.

There have been several postings about CO lately. When you decide your wood stove is the source what is next? Where are likely leaks going to be? Will you need to redo all the seals & seams or check the chimney system? Is the best thing to do is call in a pro to rebuild the whole thing?

Sounds like a lack of humidity to me...running a wood stove without a pot of water on it will do that to you. Pretty sure a headache is one of the most common signs of CO poisoning.

I don't think I'd take a chance either way. Call the FD on their non emergency line and ask them to come out and test with one of their meters.

Matt

Buy a hygrometer (humidity) gage. Your indoor humidity needs to be between 30-45%.

You could be having allergies to something you are bringing in with the wood. I can't imagine that humidity levels would change that fast unless the house is leaky and the furnace humidifier normally compensates for the loss of humidity.

a really good way to check would be to lay hands on a air quality monitor like are used in construction for confined space entry. They will read for oxygen, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide and explosive gas levels.

A possibly greater danger than the fumes of burning paint is whatever cleaner you may have used to prep it for paint. A single drop of brake cleaner if heated could easily kill everyone in the house.

I would vote for dry air. Depends on the humidity outside and inside which changes often. When it's to dry in our house I'll get a spark or shock when I go to open the stove even when walking over the wood floor. Be safe.
Ed

CO detectors are pretty reliable . . . if I had to stake my life on relying on my own senses (or even my hyper sensitive wife) vs. my CO detectors I would go with the CO detectors each and every time.

Plus a sore throat is not a symptom of CO poisoning. Headaches, nausea, sleepiness are the common symptoms.

My vote would be for dry air.

a side from the sore throat if you are feeling sick what are your symptoms? if you have a really tight house meaning no drafts you could be drawing the fumes from a water heater or boiler or something that burns other fuel back into the house when you are running your woodstove. if you are have a headache trust me you'll have it for 2 or 3 days. mine lasted 3 days and 2 days of feeling like i wanted to throw up.

Thanks for all the responses.

As for prep when I repainted, no, I didn't use anything like brake cleaner, just a drywall sanding block to remove any loose paint and a wet towel.

As for humidity, it's pretty dry. Around 30% when the stove is humming. It's pretty tough to humidify that space but I'll give it a whirl next time.

None of my 3 CO meters has yet to make a peep, so if the experience has been that they're way better than the senses, I'll go with that.

As for sleepy.... I'm always sleepy, especially with a nice warm fire. Heck, I'm falling asleep writing this!
I'm also prone to headaches, but not the sort of frontal lobe pounding in the temples that lasts for days.

I think it's mainly just paranoia, me being a bit sick, and the dry air. I'll crank the humidifier and see if that improves things with the sore throat. The stove hasn't run for days now and I feel the same, as in sick, just without the sore throat. No nausea. Aside from one runny nose, no one else feels ill at all.

heffergm said:
Thanks for all the responses.

As for prep when I repainted, no, I didn't use anything like brake cleaner, just a drywall sanding block to remove any loose paint and a wet towel.

As for humidity, it's pretty dry. Around 30% when the stove is humming. It's pretty tough to humidify that space but I'll give it a whirl next time.

None of my 3 CO meters has yet to make a peep, so if the experience has been that they're way better than the senses, I'll go with that.

As for sleepy.... I'm always sleepy, especially with a nice warm fire. Heck, I'm falling asleep writing this!
I'm also prone to headaches, but not the sort of frontal lobe pounding in the temples that lasts for days.

I think it's mainly just paranoia, me being a bit sick, and the dry air. I'll crank the humidifier and see if that improves things with the sore throat. The stove hasn't run for days now and I feel the same, as in sick, just without the sore throat. No nausea. Aside from one runny nose, no one else feels ill at all.

Oh no, it's H1N1 . . . run for the hills . . . pariah . . . pariah . . . quick to the leper colony with you . . . hide all the women and children . . . it's H1N1 . . . the Black Plague. ;)

OK, on a serious note . . . I really shouldn't make fun of something like this since a) H1N1 (like the regular flu) has taken the life of many Americans and b) I would rather someone err on the side of caution and find out it may be nothing than to ignore a possible problem and pay the price.

On another note though, I did read an interesting article at nepacrossroads about those CO detectors--

http://nepacrossroads.com/about1819.html

Some believe the thresholds for residential CO detectors are way too high for safety.

As a side note and I am repeating myself from another post; If you have have sleeping children even as old as 21, they probably will not hear the CO or the smoke alarm. It will become your job as a parent to save them. Do you have a plan?
Be safe.
Ed

You can take your CO detectors out to the garage while they are on battery back up and check them at the muffler of a running car. Or use a cigar at the wall. You will get a reading - to assure you they are working. I was paranoid too - because I was getting alerts with mine. We even vented the house in a panic at 3am -letting the cold air in and checking on sleeping children, only to realize in the morning that the unit was upside down and what I read as 78 in the dark was LB (low battery). We all had a good laugh. Certainly something to take seriously.

I believe it's the dry air - and perhaps alittle something going around - maybe a sinus infection.

Good luck.

So I called the FD on the non emergency line and asked them to come out and test. Of course they sent the ambulance with lights blazing which is a always fun to explain to the neighbors, but in any event, zero CO. At least now I can burn with impunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.