Coal burning in a central boiler...1 ton in a month?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avarose

Dec 18, 2008
NJ
We have recently switched to coal in our Harman central boiler and I don't understand how we could go through 1 ton of coal in less than a month living in NJ? I am wondering if my hubby is shaking the grates too much and actually removing coal that was never really burnt? He's down in the basement shaking the grates every several hours. How often does this actually need to be done??? Why does it seem like the coals are red only in the center? Could there not be enough air coming from the bottom? Appox how much coal are others going through in one winter??

Debbie

Debbie . . . um, ya might wanna sneak down there and see what all the 'shakin' is about :smirk: Personally, I know next to nuthin' about burning coal . . . but I've heard stories of people burning to much and that's a good way to turn steel into a liquid. Not a good thing when that steel happens to be in your basement :grrr:

it would be very normal to go through more than a ton in NJ this particular winter.

Most full time coal boiler users end up using 4 tons or so per year - given your climate and a cold winter, and normal house. Since coal is usually only burned during the coldest weather, this turns out to be 4 tons or so.

A ton in a month? Depends how big the house is, and how often you shake and add coal...

I burned 125 to 150 pounds a day the last cold snap... 35 degrees below zero, this old house requires some BTU's.

I shake once a day usually... some people want shake less... dunno, what about the ash?

avarose said:
We have recently switched to coal in our Harman central boiler and I don't understand how we could go through 1 ton of coal in less than a month living in NJ? I am wondering if my hubby is shaking the grates too much and actually removing coal that was never really burnt? He's down in the basement shaking the grates every several hours. How often does this actually need to be done??? Why does it seem like the coals are red only in the center? Could there not be enough air coming from the bottom? Appox how much coal are others going through in one winter??

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.