1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Q&A Coal burning

Post in 'Questions and Answers' started by QandA, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

QandA New Member Staff Member

Question:

I recently purchased a coal stove made by Brunco. I have been using it to heat our 2000 sq. ft house (basement/1st floor). Originally- I was burning wood in it which did not work so well. Now I am burning wood/coal fires. I have read your coal burning tips and noticed that this was not mentioned. Is this the wrong way to burn this stuff? Also I have not noticed any information on burning bituminous coal.....is there any differences that I should be aware of vs. anthracite?

Answer:

Anthracite is the preferable coal for residential use- and cannot be mixed with wood. The problem is that the wood burns completely and turns to ash well before the coal does..this ash messes up the coal fire. Bituminous is a poor fuel for home heating- as it is dirty to handle and also burns with a high pollution output. However- some bituminous is cleaner that others....and it is possible to mix it with wood (depending on the grade)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.