Coal direct vent pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dja950

Dec 24, 2012
Ok for starters this may be in the wrong section I struggled deciding which one to put it since none were dedicated to coal... I just bought a coal stove for my newly built shop. Didn't want to do wood because I didn't want to A) buy 30 ft of pipe to go up through the roof would of been expensive B) I wanted something I could turn on the night before I wanted to use it as this won't be used all the time and forget it until it got to temp and coal can blast big btus c) I'm obsessed with my wood for my house and would struggle parting with it using it on the barn in a inefficient older wood stove

So that's how I got to coal. Picked up a newer direct vent stoker style for dirt cheap, probably less than the cost of the pipe to go thirty feet for a wood stove.... I don't understand how to vent this, it's a 4" direct vent model but the only pipe I can't find that's 4" is made for pellet stoves, can I use pellet stove pipe for coal direct vent?

I'm guessing no, as the flue gasses will be highly corrosive and pellet vent probably isn't designed for it. http://nepacrossroads.com/ should have more info. What model of stove?

Alaska Channing III. Thanks for the site I'll try there I've spent over an hour on google trying to find info out keep striking out

What is the stove make/model? I'm wondering about venting it into a 316 stainless 5" chimney. Ping bholler. He does coal installations in PA.

So that's how I got to coal. Picked up a newer direct vent stoker style for dirt cheap, probably less than the cost of the pipe to go thirty feet for a wood stove.... I don't understand how to vent this, it's a 4" direct vent model but the only pipe I can't find that's 4" is made for pellet stoves, can I use pellet stove pipe for coal direct vent?
You need to use something with a 316 inner liner i am not sure what pellet vent has inside. But the clearances would no longer apply. What do the instructions that came with the power venter say to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.