coal explosion possible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallica21156

Feb 13, 2015
Carroll co
I contacted the manufacturer of my wood boiler, they say it will burn coal and there is grates that fit inside of it. However they dont want to make a set since they had very rare but a issue with coal explosion inside the boiler. He said theres not enough secondary air. I was planning on burning anthracite coal. Is this really possible with that type of coal? I know bituminous can have some issues. Anyone experience anything like this?

yes it can absolutely happen

But how likely? He told me it would only blow off thw flue pipe if it did but the stove would be fine. Just trying to decide if putting grates in it is worth it.

But how likely? He told me it would only blow off thw flue pipe if it did but the stove would be fine. Just trying to decide if putting grates in it is worth it.
It happen in my old coal furnace several times it is not enough to make the stove explode but it can blow the pipe off for sure unless it is secured well. I also got burnt pretty badly when i opened the door which triggered and explosion.

Same thing will happen in a wood stove buildup of volatile gases due to insufficient air to support combustion.

All we have here is anthracite.

Which boiler do you own??

Is it a natural draft boiler or an induced draft boiler????

Is your fire box equipped with a secondary combustion air source??
You really need that with burning coal unless you have a stoker.

I filled my original coal and wood boiler half full of firebrick up
the flue breech and it burned much better. I wish I had done it 33 years ago.

I've had it also with both hard and soft coal. Didn't give the fire enough time to establish, and my curiosity got me. Opened the wood and whoof. Flames came at me, and ash was everywhere. Definitely, not a good feeling.

Its made by a company called penn manufacturing. It says glenwood wood stove on the front. Basically it one big open box inside. It has the flue out the rear and a combustion blower on the front that turns on with a aquastat. When its off a little metal door closes and shuts off the air. There is 2 small vents that lead into the area above the fire that are always open. I can post pics if needed. The grates it came with would've been shaker grates. The door on the front with the blower has a opening at the bottom which im sure they worked somehow into the grates to fire under.

The manufacturer said not to do it because there is an issue with it that would be enough for me.

it would only blow off thw flue pipe if it did but the stove would be fine.

Well as long as the stove is fine, it must be ok to keep burning. I'm sure the missing flue pipe didn't have a purpose like preventing a house fire while you're away. :eek:

Thats the only part that worries me. With the wood i always let it die before i leave. Cheaper to run the heatpump then rebuild a house. I know with coal itd be on during the day. Thats why im not 100% sold on coal yet.

If you want to burn coal you can burn Bituminous coal in an EFM520 underfed stoker Electric Fire Man brand stoker boiler.

www.EFMheating.com

You would have to put the boiler in an insulated shed but you can stockpile the coal in a covered pile that feeds the auger to the burn pot and set up an auger to carry away the ash and dump it in to a dump trailer.

Another option is to install an underfed stoker in the loading door of the boiler but you would need a welder to do the work and install the underfed stoker in the wood loading door and remove and seal off the secondary combustion air inlets by removing them and welding a patch over each hole.

If you want to burn coal you can burn Bituminous coal in an EFM520 underfed stoker Electric Fire Man brand stoker boiler.
yeah efm makes fantastic boilers but they are really expensive.

You would have to put the boiler in an insulated shed but you can stockpile the coal in a covered pile that feeds the auger to the burn pot and set up an auger to carry away the ash and dump it in to a dump trailer.
Why would it have to be in a shed they are meant to be installed indoors which it sounds like his is.

Another option is to install an underfed stoker in the loading door of the boiler but you would need a welder to do the work and install the underfed stoker in the wood loading door and remove and seal off the secondary combustion air inlets by removing them and welding a patch over each hole.
You still need some secondary air to burn off any coal gas accumulation in stokers as well. Mine was a stoker that had issues with coal gas explosions it is less common but can still be an issue.

I would love to have a automatic feed but right now im looking for a used hand inside of my budget. I do plan moving it outside one day but being able to stay warm and dry does have its advantages. Also keeps the basement warm.

I have experienced an "explosion" twice in my hand-fed coal stove.. Both times were operator error.
I added fresh coal ,left ash pan door open to liven coal fire,closed ash pan door . This partially smothered the fire . I then opened up door to add more coal. The introduction of fresh air caused a little flash back. Same as can happen on a wood fired device.. I have experienced more flash backs(explosions ) burning wood..
As a general rule secondary air on an anthracite burner is not required or beneficial, air needs to come up through the bottom.
fwiw... I wouldn't try burning anthracite, you will never go back to wood...lol

I think what worries me is the combustion blower runs off a aquastat. So it could introduce air and make it almost explode. I know now with the wood i open the door slow since the time it blew.

Status
Not open for further replies.