1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Coal fire maintenance

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by zeke7237, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    Marty, all due respect, don't you have a masonary heater?

If I didn't play with the coal fire every few days, it would go out. I don't poke at it for no good reason and to be honest, I've never smothered or put out a fire because i was poking it. I have though, watched other people slowly put fires out over the course of a week because they would only shake the grates and were afraid to do anything else.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BS-N

BS-N New Member

Loc:
    Northeastern Pennsylvania
    I guess I still got to try nut coal at least once. I am a little reserved about it though. In my set up (with no pipe damper), with the pea, the damper provides a full usable range. When I load, I never open the ash door - control all the way open to the right. When I burn it slow, I can go all the way to the left if I wanted. Never anything stuck in the grates. I also have no problem getting the family room in which the stove resides above 110degF if I wanted.
  3. lime4x4

lime4x4 Member

Loc:
    Northeast Pa
    mrmahoney i assume this dampner your talking about is the air intake control?? If so that's normal and how it works. I had an old efel with the same type of air intake dampner if u sit there and watch it you will notice that it opens and closes all the time. It's there to regulate the fire to maintain a constant and even temp
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.