Q&A Coal Furnace parts found on archeological dig

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I recently went on an archaeological dig at Tyler State Park in Pennsylvania with my fifth grade Humanities class. I have to research one of the artifacts I found and was hoping you might know something about it. I went to a gas station and they said it was an ashshaker in a coal furnace.If you can tell me anything about it I would really appreciate it

Answer:

Justin, all coal furnaces have shaker grates because the coal ash will not drop into the ash pan unless you shake it. Hard coal (anthracite) was actually first burned in Eastern Pennsylvania and a number of manufacturers of furnaces and stoves were found here. In addition, the coal was used to melt iron, so foundries (casting facilities) were started to make stoves, farm implements, etc.

Coal was the single most important form of energy for the Eastern Pa Economy for a time period of over 100 years. Oil then replaced it in many instances, however coal is still used widely today in the region.

Status
Not open for further replies.