Coal in a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaz2508

Mar 24, 2013
Vermilion Ohio
I have an 80's Temp Wood stove 2 down draft tubes with a top load lid. I have burnt wood in it for many years. I was thinking of using a small amount of anthracite coal to mix with the wood once the wood coal base is established. The stove burns so good once the base of hot coals are established but they burn down fairly fast once the wood burns down. Your thoughts on the use of a small amount of coal to prolong the base of hot coals or is this just a bad idea.

I'm sure you'll get a answers from folks much more qualified than I, but I would not recommend trying to burn coal in a stove that's not rated for it. That stuff burns very hot and could easily damage your stove.

Reactions: jaz2508
hmmm - coal in woodstove = fire dept at house

It just will not burn well at all coal needs air coming up through it to burn correctly and in a wood stove you dont have that. It can also be pretty unsafe depending on the setup

Coal burning is too hot for a woodstove.

I think its just a bad idea no matter how you look at it. I've been burning wood for about 10 years here with out any issues. I think I'll stick with that. My house has been around for over 100 years and I don't think I would care to burn it down now for a stupid idea.

I tried doing that a few years ago, it didn't really work that well. It didn't burn right, so I made a basket out of expanded metal to hold the coal so air could get to it. It still really didnt work all that well. It was more hassle than it was worth.

A major concern for burning coal (or trying to, as it won't do poo in a non-coal stove) is the chimney liner.

If there is a SS chimney liner, and it is not rated for coal, the acids involved with coal's burning will destroy the liner.

As others have said, if you don't have the setup for it, you aren't gaining anything. Coal burns great, but it's not a "few pieces here and there" sort of thing. Many coal burners start the stove with wood, then switch over to coal. A mix isn't part of the equation.

Reactions: jaz2508 and bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.