Coal ?? in my Heartstone ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulie

Nov 27, 2007
SW Mich.
Ok...Anthracite burns VERY hot. But will it hurt the stove if used in moderation ? I thinking I would simply add a small shovel to kick start a high temp burn in mornings...

I never put a little gasoline in my diesel, either, just to give it a little kick.

wood wacker said:
Ok...Anthracite burns VERY hot. But will it hurt the stove if used in moderation ? I thinking I would simply add a small shovel to kick start a high temp burn in mornings...

Wood Wacker (or would that be wood whacker?):

When I lived in Fairbanks some years ago, my next door neighbor used to burn coal in his woodstove - which was a home made barrel stove, or something like it.

Nothing like the smell of burning coal in the morning - it stinks! And coal make everything pretty dirty from coal dust to airborne particulate matter. Just my opinion, of course, but I would not burn coal in my stove even if it were rated to handle coal.

Throw some pellets in there and just pretend it's coal.

wood wacker said:

Anthracite needs a strong <underfire> draft to burn at all. I don't think you're likely to have much luck with it the way you describe.

PB

-----

Coal requires forced air to burn properly and is usually elevated on a grate to allow air to move beneath the coal. I don't think it would burn in a woodstove the way it burns in a coal stove. I think you could get a stove hotter faster by using wood.

I don't think your stove was made for coal. I would ask here
http://nepacrossroads.com/forum-55.html

I bought a ton for $ 65 and I might go coal only next year. My stove was designed to burn both FA-CDW 288 and it is doing it pretty well. It burns long and HOT so I would check your manual or give the maker a call. good luck

wood wacker said:

I tried the same thing in my non-epa stove and it would not burn (coal needs air fed from underneath to burn properly). And, I just sold a brand new (expensive) coal stove (at a loss) that I had sitting here for two years without ever hooking it up. Prior to that I sold a brand new combination Coal/Wood stove without ever hooking it up. Long story short but the more I learned about coal (and the people who burn it) the more I wanted nothing to do with it or them. But that's just me and my opinion (whatever that's worth - lol). One small part of my decision about this was that coal prices (for me) went from $250 per ton to $300 per ton in two years and with foreign markets driving those prices I didn't think that would ever get any better (but what do I know). AND, it's interesting to note that Eco Bricks are said to have a heat density of about 12,000 BTU's per pound (which is equal to coal). So Eco Bricks (at about $260.00 per ton with tax) are for me a less expensive (and cleaner) fuel option than coal. So I gave up my nasty coal idea (bags smell of oil when in the house) and bought a new EPA wood stove. I wanted the ease of coal but I love wood (and those who burn it). Have a great day!

Edit: So my point here is that I've found Eco Bricks and other such Bio-Mass products to work great for kick-starting fires:)

Lump Bituminous would work, it performs well with overfire air. Many people use it to extend productive burns overnight by mixing it in with wood. Anthracite unfortunately would not be a good match for what you desire.

Anthracite burns well in stoves designed for it. Not sure if adding a shovel full is a good idea. Bituminous can contain high levels of volatiles that can collect and ignite in places you don't want it to. Would not be good in a cemented together soapstone stove. Then add in the corrosive exhaust gasses. Definitely read up at nepacrossroads before deciding.

thanks everyone...after looking into it a little more, and the response from here, I do believe I will stick with my oak,ash,locust etc.....

wood wacker said:
thanks everyone...after looking into it a little more, and the response from here, I do believe I will stick with my oak,ash,locust etc.....

Good decision, especially if you have that kind of (dry) wood ready to go! Cheers!

wood wacker said:

Smart move....

Good choice.

<closing this down since the OP has his answer>

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.