Coal liner ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sebring

Oct 3, 2011
PA
I posted this in the boiler room by mistake. Hopefully someone here can help.

I just lined my chimney with a 316ti flexible chimney liner for my wood stove. Now im thinking about getting a coal stove as well, but the place where I bought it says its good for everything except coal. Great, so I will need to run a SS chimney outside the house now. But if I burn anthracite coal only, and it burns just as clean as the other fuels, why cant I use the 316ti chimney?

Is the rationale because of the temperature involved with coal?

I've got a coal/wood double burn DS machine stove; I'm taking care to go above code (as soon as I'm finished making mistakes installing it)!

If it is 316Ti I am not sure why they are saying it is not Coal rated. I was under the impression that 304 was not coal rated but 316 is.

The problem with the coal use is generally the acidic conditions related to it, not the heat.

What company did you go with here?

pen

It's not always the material but how it was tested- If that manufacture did not test their material to coal specs then it will not be approved... But correct typically 316ti is a all fuel liner minus corn typically.

Status
Not open for further replies.