Coal location in regards to secondary burn neck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joninvermont

Oct 24, 2010
Vermont
Hello all,

Sorry for the basic question, but i'll admit i'm a newbie at the woodburning scene.

This past summer I had a VC Defiant NC 1610 installed with an 8 inch 30 foot flue, outside brick chimney. The stove is obviously still new to me, and I'm trying to grapple the secondary burn situation as best as possible. I enjoy the ongoing challenge of figuring out what the stove wants and needs, as I've quickly realized she is a very particular lady! With the help of the forum I have come to understand the various influences that affect the secondary burn, including downdraft, outside temperature, wood dryness, etc, which is much appreciated.

However, one thing I can't wrap my head around is actually how to have the coals and wood placed inside the firebox. Once a sufficient coal bed is generated, do you have coals butting right up to the neck opening, or do you have them backed off some and more towards the front? Do you keep your wood mostly in the front or in the back? Just wondering how all of you out there set this up and how it impacts your secondary burn, if at all.

Thanks for your all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.