Coal pellets I wonder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oranges and apples syndrome. :) Two entirely different processes plus two different markets.

Folks, biocoal is only a trade name. The wood product I was describing is said to be torrified. It's a simple chemical process where some of the VOCs, most of which would produce creosote if condensed, are driven off the wood or any biomass. Those same VOCs that are driven out of the ground wood or biomass is then collected and used to heat the biomass in the torrification process, saving fuel costs. Torrified biomass may have a latent heat energy of 9 to 11,000 btus/lb, but it is also somewhat denser that wood pellets. A 40 lb bag of torrified biomass pellets would be physically smaller than a 40 lb bag of wood pellets. So a ton would occupy less space and each bag would have more energy than the wood pellets. The pellet burner may increase in efficiency because less energy would be needed to "boil off" the water remaining in the wood pellets so more of the energy content would be available to produce heat from the stove. Also, torrified biomass does not absorb water. In some parts of the planet, companies that currently burn coal for heat or power are looking at mixing torrified biomass with coal because it is an inexpensive way to reduce emissions relative to burning coal alone.

Yea..I live in Millinocket..the plant is going up around the spring time...hopefully we will see some of the first products of this new fuel very soon...they plan on hiring around 120-150 people. I will try to get some of this stuff and send it to anyone who wants to do some testing...I'll keep all of you posted..The company investors...called Cates also bought a paper mill in East Millinocket...and that employed 200 plus to work...things are good here in northern Maine

Just my 2cents, but wouldn't the stove manufacturers have to test and certify that it could be used in their stoves?
I'm sure there would be legal issues and/or warranty clauses come up about using something that haven't been tested and approved?

I think I would take a back seat and let them (manufacturers) do the testing 1st.

Is Millinocket northern Maine?
I grew up in Keegan, darn near can't get more north than that, but we always considered the top 1/2 or so of Aroostook to be northern Maine. Presque Isle, Caribou, Madawaska, Easton, Limestone, etc, etc.

bigruckus said:
Yea..I live in Millinocket..the plant is going up around the spring time...hopefully we will see some of the first products of this new fuel very soon...they plan on hiring around 120-150 people. I will try to get some of this stuff and send it to anyone who wants to do some testing...I'll keep all of you posted..The company investors...called Cates also bought a paper mill in East Millinocket...and that employed 200 plus to work...things are good here in northern Maine

NATE379 said:
Is Millinocket northern Maine?
I grew up in Keegan, darn near can't get more north than that, but we always considered the top 1/2 or so of Aroostook to be northern Maine. Presque Isle, Caribou, Madawaska, Easton, Limestone, etc, etc.

bigruckus said:

Your right..I should of said central Maine...but then I would get comments from people around the Bangor area..LOL..Alaska...but pellets cost you well...wow must be nice and cold over there...I watch that dumb show Gold Rush...those people are all dreamers..hope Parker strikes it rich..if he doesn't his grandfather will take care of him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.