Coal stove keeps burning out and I've troubleshooted everything!! Ugh :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shenk111

Feb 22, 2008
eastern pa
burning itself out. i came down the other morning and the stove was running but only pushing unburnt coal down into pan. tonight took combustion air blower that blows air under grates off and cleaned about two years worth of crap outta it. blows awesome now so restarted stove with a mouse and bam hour later went out again. this time it burnt the belt of coal up almost to the top then went out. emptied my 100 lbs hopper and cleaned out above pusher bar and now just sitting and watching pusher bar push coal down belt before starting again in hopes there was to much ashy crap around pusher bar area. anyone ever have this issue? Relit just now and gonna wait until it burns for about an hour to see if it keeps going. Plenty of air blowing through holes, brand new nylon motor unit last year which worked fined, emptied hopper and cleaned all fines out and watched n put pressure on pusher bar which worked fine even watch coal for half hour being pushed down belt fine. I did notice the back left nylon screw hanging out a little bit n actually looks melted a little but that only makes pusher bar slightly uneven but still pushes fine. Woke up to no orange this morning. Went out again. The pic of coals looks like build up in the middle but it did push coal down through belt, in burnt of course. Also I see inside the pusher area in back there is a plastic screw n it looks melted a bit. from what I understand it only keeps bar straight. Even cocked slightly though it pushes coal down. Honestly could it be electronics cause I opened a Honeywell box on back and when I push this little button thing down it turns pusher and combustion unit on. Thermostat makes it turn on also without assistance but thinking maybe that electronic piece doesn't always tell it to do its thing cause I thought combustion turns itself on every so often to keep coals lit. Help someone.

What kind of stove is it?

It is a Gibraltar shell that someone installed key stoker parts on from what it looks like. Key stoker is names on parts in back but door has Gibraltar on it.

Not too many on here with Coal Stoves.

There are a few but you might need to let folks know it is a coal stove in the title of your post.

Moving this to the hearth room. Most good info on coal burning can be found at nepacrossroads.com. Very few coal burners here.

Status
Not open for further replies.