Q&A Coal Stove Melting baffle and Stove parts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Two years ago, I installed a Citation Coal stove fire place insert. By the end of the heating season the Baffle, fire brick angel iron and baffle support bracket had become severely corroded, baffle plate was perforated. The manager where I purchased the stove said that I had probably over fired the stove causing the parts to corrode. I purchased a second stove for my basement this one is a Harmon sf 250. I donÕ´ believe either stove was ever over fired yet I have the same corrosion problem in the citation, and the harmon stove suffered corrosion only on the angel irons that retains the fire brick

The only type of coal that I burn is Old Company Lehigh, could it be the coal?

Answer:

It's not the coal....Its usually the heat....Coal is what they use to melt Iron in certain foundries. It is capable of very high temperature....and just overfiring a coal stove for a couple hours can do some damage. Make certain that you use a barometric draft regulator and perhaps a turn damper to control the draft to the stove. Keep a thermometer on the stove surface and try to keep the temperature in the 450-650 degree range (on single wall parts of the stove.)

If the firebrick is still in place, I would not bother to replace the angle iron. I like to get all the possible life out of these internal parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.