coal stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
denised9 said:
looking into coal stove for the house. checked out hitzer 503 priced at $2400. any thoughts? we are in Connecticut.
Check out the Baker Stove Co. of York,PA.. before making a decision.

I'm by new london and just had my stove installed. You can get the stove at preston trading post (my wait was 3 months/ordered in July). I ran into contractor issues (not responsive, bad advice, non-code installation suggestions). I had one contractor start work and then I found that the pipe he was going to put in needed to be insulated, which would have required ovalization, and he did not want to do that so he did not complete the work; I found another contractor and he installed it about 30 days later.
You should demand a materials list that give manufactures' names and product identifications coal needs 316 steel & while the contractors know this, they'll try to add small parts of 306L steel for the installation.

My stove is in and is running very well. Stove @ preston was 2100, installation 2200.

If the stove wasn't 600 pounds, I would have tackled the installation myself. And get a permit from your town ! If not & your house burns down, your insurance will likely not pay.

Check on the site below, they deal with coal a lot more than we do on this forum... There are very few guys here who burn coal.
http://nepacrossroads.com

BTW, look into coal pricing and availability around here, coal isn't always easy to find and prices can be a lot steeper than what they pay in PA!

Status
Not open for further replies.