Q&A coal vs. pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

After doing some reading and speaking with some people who have pellet stoves, we were all set to buy a pellet stove for our new home (to help w/heat costs & eliminate gas heat only if feasible). At our state fair, 2 different stove reps. advised me to buy coal stove instead. Please give me your thoughts on this as well as all plus and minuses.

I was told the price for the stove is about the same, a coal stove puts out more heat and use 1 bag of coal for every 2 pellet. They said stocking averages the same, and coal is no worse for the environment. 1 guy even said that 9 out of 10 service calls for him are for pellet stoves. I know pellet stoves do not have an odor (like wood stoves), does coal? How about breathing? Is coal worse to inhale?

Answer:

Much will depend on the price for the different fuels in your area. Try the calculator at http://chi.hearth.com/addcalc.html to compare the price of heating fuels.

Pellet stoves do rely on electricity and many more moving and electronic parts, so it stands to reason that they will require more service both now and in the future.

Anthracite coal burns very clean, however mining it from the ground can cause some problems. Also, coal stoves are hard to start, so they are better in situations where the stove can be run 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. A Pellet stove is easy to start, so it works well whether using full time or part-time.

In the end, it's your decision, but I hope these facts help you sort it out.

Link: Fuel Cost Link

Status
Not open for further replies.