coalbrookdale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Red:

I can't say I'm an authority on Coalbrookdale stoves but I'll throw in my 2 cents. You'll want to hit up the rock burners over at http://nepacrossroads.com/forum-55.html, a few guys over there have some of these up and running.

First off do you know what model it is? I have a Darby, its a bear that'll burn coal and wood, I'm pretty sure this was the largest of their line. It's a smoke dragon, no secondary burn but if you can get by that its hard to find any other faults in it. First off the quality of construction is exceptional, on par with say a Morso. The aesthetic of the Darby is a lot more pleasing than the typical "box with a window" design on most American stoves. The ability to burn wood or coal is handy (I run two stoves and one year as I ran low of seasoned wood I switched over to coal on the Darby to get me through the last few months). Finally, the Darby has the ability to pump out a lot of heat.

One draw back is it takes an 8 inch chimney out the back. If you can mount it in a fireplace that would be ideal. Setting it in a room takes up a lot of space but can be done. Use double wall and make sure you have good draft; don't skimp on chimney height.

Hope this helps,

Count

Hi, we use to handle the Coalbrookdale range in Australia, there was the Derby, whichs was the biggest, then the Severn, Much wenloch and little wenloch. Made in the UK, they came out of the same foundary as Rayburn and AGA cook stoves. Typical multifuel british stoves that burnt coal better than wood. Series of grate bars that made up a riddling system. With Australain hardwoods these bars use to burn out pretty quick as did the baffle plates. Beautiful quality castings. I wonder what model you are lookign at? The Derby was a big unit with double doors, the severn had decorative panles onthe sides and the Much Wenloch was quite square in its shape. Hope this helps you out, but its been a long time since I have seen one!

Status
Not open for further replies.