coaling in new insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jockum

Jan 8, 2011
michigan
I know a lot of people hate Vogelzgang here, but thats what I could afford,the colonial model, which is an epa approved insert, and I would appreciate any advice. I isnstalled this five days ago, and everything is working out pretty well, except for a lot of coals left after the burn. I dont know if it is because I am cutting the damper down too much, or if its the wood I am burning. I do not think its the wood, because I have been burning the same wood, which is ash, (the trees were dead before I cut and split it) in two other stoves, one is a jotul 602, the other another dreaded Vogelzgang. When burned in the other stoves, what I end up with is a lot more ash and very few coals, the coals I do end up with are much smaller. Any advice would be appreciated.

Be interisting what others say, I am getting alot of coals also, but I know what my problem is it's first year burning with first year knowledge of what real seasoned wood is. I have run out of marginal wood-dry mix, now I am going through my supply of next years wood to see what I am going to try now. Haven't heard anyone mention hating a stove.

L O L

Sorry, I should not have said "hated" its just that I read some other posts here where Vogelzgang products were not respected very much.

I find that higher moisture in wood leads to more coals, as does slower burning. If you have glass in the unit you may be able to find a better damper setting to compensate, or do like I do and pull the coals forward and open the damper to burn them out (along with some smaller pine splits) before reloading if you can.

I have the same issue with my Colonial. I find that this stove tends to build up a lot of coals when I stuff it full of wood at each fueling and when I damper it down all the way. Now I only stuff it full when I will be gone for a long time and before I go to bed. I seldom damper it down all the way. Last year I was new to this and tried the pack it to the gills and let it burn out to coal before refueling and I don't feel it worked very well in this stove. This year I try not to fill the box too full and keep adding wood periodically while the fire is going good and it seems to put out more hot air this way. Usually I will have a lot of coals built up in the morning so I just get the fire going with one or two pieces of wood and keep the damper 3/4 to full open and just throw one piece of wood at a time on their to keep the flame going and that will burn down the coal pretty fast.

Yeah I got you on that, tonite I am going to try the n/s burn, I cut a bunch of splits 9" long for this. Its supposerd to hit 9 degrees tonite.I have been raking the coals from the back to front to burn em down, it helps, but is time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.