Coaly is the real deal!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hornet

Hearth Supporter
Nov 27, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
My stove is a Fisher large insert that we have had for fifteen years. I have made extensive modifications to my stove and am really pleased with it' s performance. Coaly told me that I should install a internal fire baffle plate. I was very doubtful but promised him a report. The plate is made from 3/8 inch steel plate and installed two inches down from the stove top. That leaves 50 sq inches for the smoke to leave the stove. The plate is 16 inches deep so I was sure the stove would smoke the house if the door was open. But that doesn't happen. The stove draws the smoke out if the door is open or not. I was also worried about creosote but that turned out to be a non problem. In years past, I would have to brush out the liner in December and at the end of the season. This year we went the entire heating season without brushing with no creosote, The stove runs hotter and I suspect that it is burning the creosote in the stove. The modifications I have made are;
1 Rope air seals for the doors.
2 A stainless flex liner to the roof wraped in insulation.
3 The old smoke shelf has been packed with insulation.
4 Installed a metal block off plate .
5 A new damper control to control the stove draw,
6 A new fan and housing useing a Stanley shop fan,
7 New interior smoke shelf.
I am very pleased with the performance of this stove and I do not see how I could make it better. I wish I had started out with a stove with glass doors but did not know they existed, This stove is perfect and well be fine for the rest of our time in this house. Coaly's advice was spot on , Thank You, David

Attachments

• download_005.jpeg
    download_005.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 282
  • download_006.jpeg
    download_006.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Reactions: Flynnworx and lango
Sounds like Coaly has figured these stoves out well ... always good to learn from a master!:)

Now all you need to do is hunt up a glass fronted Fisher ;)

My stove is a Fisher large insert that we have had for fifteen years. I have made extensive modifications to my stove and am really pleased with it' s performance. Coaly told me that I should install a internal fire baffle plate. I was very doubtful but promised him a report. The plate is made from 3/8 inch steel plate and installed two inches down from the stove top. That leaves 50 sq inches for the smoke to leave the stove. The plate is 16 inches deep so I was sure the stove would smoke the house if the door was open. But that doesn't happen. The stove draws the smoke out if the door is open or not. I was also worried about creosote but that turned out to be a non problem. In years past, I would have to brush out the liner in December and at the end of the season. This year we went the entire heating season without brushing with no creosote, The stove runs hotter and I suspect that it is burning the creosote in the stove. The modifications I have made are;
1 Rope air seals for the doors.
2 A stainless flex liner to the roof wraped in insulation.
3 The old smoke shelf has been packed with insulation.
4 Installed a metal block off plate .
5 A new damper control to control the stove draw,
6 A new fan and housing useing a Stanley shop fan,
7 New interior smoke shelf.
I am very pleased with the performance of this stove and I do not see how I could make it better. I wish I had started out with a stove with glass doors but did not know they existed, This stove is perfect and well be fine for the rest of our time in this house. Coaly's advice was spot on , Thank You, David

would like to see how you attached baffle plate? We have a grandma with top flue at camp in Northern Maine and could use a little more heat. Also my son just got a grandma in Montana with glass doors and air intakes that draw under front ash plate, anyone have info on that model?

Status
Not open for further replies.