Cobbled together wood boiler on a shoe-string.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Timberguy

Jan 20, 2015
Duluth MN
I’ve been planning a wood boiler system, and following many discussions on and off for the past few years now. I have finally gathered together enough of the components to put some serious thought into bringing this plan to fruition. From observation I feel as if I’m entering into a battle of ideas that I’m poorly equipped to engage, but nonetheless need some direction.

Having very little money to devote to this dream, I have collected what I have for next to nothing, and I simply want to figure out the best way to put it all together. To date I have a very well built single stage indoor wood boiler, a 500 gallon pressurized vertical water storage tank, a 40 gallon Amtrol indirect water heater, a 65kbtu air handler, and a well insulated garage with Pex tubing in the slab ready to go.

Primarily I need to know what to start looking for next, all items that I will need to be purchased, and none of them inexpensive, example: Loading unit versus separate pump and mixing valve, pumps versus zone vales, all of which could be answered by being directed to the correct piping diagram

Before I go any further and start dumping drawings and asking questions, is this the best place to do so? This site seems to be as comprehensive as anything out there, I’m not certain if I should tag along on an ongoing discussion or should I start fresh? Not only am I new to this site, but I’m new to this method exchanging ideas. Help!

Welcome Timberguy,
I would start by reading the thread by nofossil "simplest pressurized storage system design". When you first go to the boiler room it's a yellow thread near the top.

Welcome Timberguy,
I would start by reading the thread by nofossil "simplest pressurized storage system design". When you first go to the boiler room it's a yellow thread near the top.

Thank you! I actually had reviewed that post and I also read through the 183 page post at the top of that list https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/biomass-hydronics-training-pdf.137252/ . Youtube was my first stop and continues to be a great help with options.

Now that I have been encouraged to jump in here, I think I’ll need to narrow the focus and be more specific with my questions since there could be an almost infinite number of variables with the components I’ve listed. This whole system that I’m cobbling back together was working well in its former configuration, heating a small home, a workshop, and domestic hot-water. When I purchased it there were none of the pumps or zone valves, and sizing these correctly may be different because of my heat loads, piping and distances.

1.) My first question would be which is the better choice, separate pumps, or zone valves?

2.) Once I’ve made that choice, what size pump is needed.

3.) Some of the first examples in the above mentioned training pdf, show a single pump setup at boiler, then through the storage tank and beyond. Would I be correct to assume this is a simple loop that could be tapped into with either pumps or valves?

I'm no pro, but i can give a basic concept to get the wheels in your head spinning and hopefully others can help more. Usually you have a circulator that runs the boiler to storage loop. Then you can either have a circ for each zone / device. Or you have another circ on a primary loop with zone valves for each zone / device. I believe the main advantage to using zone valves over circs is that they use less electricity.

Not sure but I have been told that Zone Valves will be a less expensive approach..not only in the initial outlay, but in the the ongoing electric costs..I have all separate pumps, not sure what the advantages are, but when working with my plumber my instructions, "build and design the system as if it was for you" the next thing I see is a 9' long manifold with 9 B&G RED,,,pumps, tons of valves, etc...

I'm no pro, but i can give a basic concept to get the wheels in your head spinning and hopefully others can help more. Usually you have a circulator that runs the boiler to storage loop. Then you can either have a circ for each zone / device. Or you have another circ on a primary loop with zone valves for each zone / device. I believe the main advantage to using zone valves over circs is that they use less electricity.

I may have been hung up by this simple example taken from the before mentioned training pdf. It appears as if the pump were sized correctly and there was some way to control the flow rate, a single pump could work? I however am thinking in terms of old gas on oil fired boilers typically found in homes, which I'm more familiar with. I'm getting some real thoughtful help hear, and appreciate it very much.

Wow! I think there is more invested in pumps in these pictures than I have in the whole system so far, That's fine though, the more I stare at the different schematics, the closer I get to trying my hand at one myself. The whole issue for me is to get it right on paper, before I start buying parts.

Attachments

• storage tank 001.jpg
    storage tank 001.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 131
I'm not sure on the one pump. I suppose with the correct controls its probably possible. Don't forget that you need return temperature protection so you don't shock the boiler and get condensation. You can do this with a thermostatic valve or a loading unit. the thermostatic valve is the cheaper option but the loading units are really nice if you have the extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.