Code for a mantle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
We have an old wooden fireplace surround and mantle. There is a piece of trim that goes 11 inches below the mantle itself. Do I measure heights above the stove from the trim or from the mantle? And, is there a trim thickness that determines that...in other words, when would the trim be considered a mantle for code purposes?

the mantle has a clearance if combustible or combustible items can and usually are placed on it. if the surface "trim" you are speaking of is combustible then it should be considered when gaining clearances. i do not actually know the answer by code to that question , would have to try to look it up , but im thinking that the clearance to an unprotected mantle is due to its being combustible and anything between the mantle and the units top which is combustible likely would have to have same clearance.

its a guess but i think its feasable

The mantle clearances are outlines in each installation manual, usually with pictures and explanations.

Anything that is combustible and projects from the face of the wall above the fireplace is considered part of the "mantle". Even if it is only 1/4" think (or less).

Any combustibles that project from the walls next to the fireplaces must be considered for "sidewall" clearances.

Thanks everyone. The bottom trim is about 11 inches below the mantle and projects out about 1 1/2" at the bottom - so I'll use the manufacturers guide and figure minimum clearance to BOT trim. So, when I get an inspection is it most likely that the inspector will basically read the technical data sheet I have and measure things?

bcnu said:
So, when I get an inspection is it most likely that the inspector will basically read the technical data sheet I have and measure things?

Yes

It seems to depend to a large extent on the stove, and the particular specs on it, but the typical clearance spec will look at both the distance above the stove (or to the sides, but they are usually less fussy) and the distance the mantle / trim sticks out. I think the best way to describe it is to visualize a triangular wedge above the fireplace and to each side. The stove specs will give the dimensions of the wedge, as long as you don't have anything that sticks out past the wedge, you are fine. If something falls outside the wedge you will have to do modify it somehow. Note that you can get shields in some cases that will improve your clearance numbers, but may have aesthetic problems instead...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.