Code question - reducing clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowgoose

Jan 23, 2007
How high does a wall protecting heat shield need to extend above a stove?

I am planning to install a Hearthstone Mansfield in a parallel installation. The Mansfield manual calls for a clearance to protected surfaces (NFPA 211) of 10 inches to the side and 8 in. to the rear (using factory heat shield and double wall pipe).

I will be constructing the wall heat shield with 1/2 inch Durock cement board and tile, spaced 1.5 in. from floor and an inch of air space between the wall.

not exactly backed up by code but I would extend that wall 1' above the top of the stove surface. The theory is, air being drawn in the bottom ,is being heated and rising out the top, as it rises out the top it cools the area above the stove and protection wall so that it should never get to the point of danger

The makers of Durock have instructions for using as a wall shield. If you look it up on their web site you can find them. They show 8" minimum around all sides of stove and behind stove pipe. I agree with Elk that leaving a foot margin would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.